The youth at Salaga South constituency are angry following the citing of Damango as the regional capital of the newly created Savanna region.
The office of the governing New Patriotic Party in the constituency was set ablaze Tuesday evening.
“The place is burning down, people are throwing stones and all manner of things,” an eye witness told Joy News.
The protesters, displeased by President, Nana Akufo-Addo’s announcement Tuesday, insist Salaga deserved to be the regional capital.
They argued the people of Salaga South showed faith in the New Patriotic Party by voting the party’s parliamentary candidate, Salifu Adam Braimah as MP.
They say the choice of Damongo which voted for an NDC candidate Adam Mutawakilu, does not reward the peoples’ faith in the NPP.
The roofing, fridges, windows, satellite dish and computers are among the many things destroyed by the fire.
Although there is police presence “they cannot do anything”. Attempts by firefighters at the scene to douse the flames have been thwarted by the angry youths.
The eye witness said pick axes have been brought in by the irate youth to pull down the building.
The security apparatus has been paralysed by the actions of the youth who are having a field day in venting their anger.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Vigilantism law will not achieve much – Asiedu Nketia
- Inside story: The 300-yr old British-Dutch struggle inherited by two Dixcove chiefs
- 'You did zero' - Akufo-Addo challenges Mahama over cocoa record
- New IGP appointment good for Akufo-Addo but not Ghana – MP
- ¢10k bounty for information on whereabouts of missing gov’t vehicle
- 4 file to contest Dome Kwabenya NDC primary
- Wereko Brobby meets Akufo-Addo over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- No pickup, no mercy - NDC tells Savannah Region Minister
- Vigilantism Bill passed into law
- NIA begins registration exercise in Volta region
- CID’s investigation of Charles Bissue political – Martin Amidu
- NDC primaries: 74 pick forms for 18 constituencies in Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo resumes regional tours with Western, Central visit
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss