The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) is calling on the Electoral Commission to annul the results of the just ended Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election.
The NDC says the election was conducted under questionable circumstances “including the warlike environment.”
In a statement Monday, the party added that they shall not recognise the NPP candidate, Lydia Alhassan “since the entire process was a sham.”
“We call on the Electoral Commission Chairperson to annul the result of the by-election...” the statement said.
The statement also calls on state institutions to launch an investigation into the Thursday disturbances at the residence of the NDC candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong which escalated to the La Bawaleshie polling centre close by.
“It is our expectation that…appropriate sanctions would be taken against offenders in order to restore some level of confidence in the system,” the party wrote.
“Failure to do this, we in the NDC will have no other option but to meet the NPP boot for boot in any election the Jean Mensa-led EC will conduct under the NPP and Nana Akufo Addo government,” they added.
The NDC also wants the National Security Minister to answer three questions for the people of Ghana.
1 How many National Security operatives were commissioned on the day to supervise the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election?
2. How many of them were given weapon and live ammunition?
3. How many MI6 and AK47 and accompanying ammunition were issued for their operations on the Election 17ay 3Ist January 2019?
The National Security Minister has, however, stated that the men were on an operation to stop a society foe although he declined to reveal who they were after, saying the National Security is still investigating.
The NDC pulled out of the Thursday by-election after the attacks, citing intimidation.
However, the NPP candidate Mrs. Alhassan called on all constituents to come out and vote. She won the elections by a landslide by 68.8%.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Wereko Brobby meets Akufo-Addo over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- No pickup, no mercy - NDC tells Savannah Region Minister
- Vigilantism Bill passed into law
- NIA begins registration exercise in Volta region
- CID’s investigation of Charles Bissue political – Martin Amidu
- NDC primaries: 74 pick forms for 18 constituencies in Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo resumes regional tours with Western, Central visit
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament