The Deputy Minority Chief Whip in Parliament has flagged the appointment of acting police chief by President Akufo-Addo.
Ibrahim Ahmed told JoyNews Tuesday that the unconfirmed position of COP James Oppong-Boanuh will make him always wanting to please the appointing authority, the President.
This, the Banda MP believes would not augur well for the country but suits Akufo-Addo well, since the acting IGP would act to gain favour in his eyes.
“It is not good for the country but it is good for the President,” Ahmed said.
Speaking on the exit of David Asante Apeatu from the top office, the legislator said President Akufo-Addo “is suffering from indecision,” looking at the manner in which he was axed from office.
Akufo-Addo has asked Asante Apeatu to proceed on leave
The immediate past former IGP was set to go on retirement in 2018 but he was given a contract extension by the President.
Barely a month to the expiration of that term, Asante Apeatu was asked to proceed on leave and hand over his position as police chief to his deputy, Oppong.
According to the NDC MP, the handling of Apeatu’s exit is a sign of indecision from the President.
Akufo-Addo identified some traits in Apeatu that is why he extended his contract so why axe him with few weeks to retirement and replace him with an acting IGP, the MP quizzed.
More Politics Headlines
- Bawumia mocks 'General Mosquito' over new Master's degree
- Anlo chief set to mediate Bimbilla chieftaincy dispute
- Minority calls out gov’t over employment data
- A Pratt-Baako ticket for 2020… To break NPP-NDC stranglehold
- Gov’t says 611,397 new jobs created between 2017 and 2018
- Builsa chiefs install Akufo-Addo 'Chief for the Poor and Vulnerable'
- Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre used ¢2m without approval - Report
- Akufo-Addo cuts sod for construction of Tamale Airport Phase II
- House of Chiefs defers Bunkpurugu conflict verdict
- PDS saga: Information Minister rubbishes Minority's petition to U.S.
- 'Free SHS has come to stay' - Mahama
- Minority petitions US ambassador over PDS debacle
- V8 scandal will not affect MP bid - Dumelo
- Apaak wants OSP to prosecute NPP members, FC officials over rosewood export
- $1m payment to Kroll Ass: Sanction Finance Ministry officials - PAC Chair