The Minority Leader has urged the Electoral Commission (EC) to on a daily basis publish the total number of people registered as part of the ongoing limited voter registration exercise.
Haruna Iddrisu said this would ensure credibility and transparency in the ongoing limited voter registration exercise across the country.
The Tamale South MP said the Constitutional Instrument 91 (CI 91) on Public Elections Regulation 2016 stipulated that the EC should provide details of the outcome of the voter registration exercise to all political parties as well as the public in the country.
He made the appeal on Thursday when he visited the Tamale Metropolitan Office of the EC to assess the ongoing limited voter registration exercise in the area.
According to him, a credible and reliable voter register was essential to the conduct of free, fair and credible elections in the country.
Mr Iddrisu, following the recent challenges and other issues arising from the registration of voters online and offline at some registration centres in the country, urged the EC to factor in recommendations made in Parliament by the Minority on the need for the EC to upgrade its National Data Centre.
He said the EC's National Data Centre was facing challenges and could not accommodate further data if not upgraded.
The MP said the Minority at the Special Budget Committee level of Parliament, had made adequate recommendations on the need to improve on the EC's National Data Centre since 2017 but added that its recommendations had not been considered.
According to him, said the Bimbilla Municipal had five voter registration centres as against the Tamale South and Tamale Central.
He, therefore, appealed to the EC to open more registration centres in the Tamale South and Tamale Central Constituencies to reduce the pressure on the existing centres.
Meanwhile, the limited voter registration exercise at the Tamale Metropolitan Office of the EC office was going on smoothly.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Inside story: The 300-yr old British-Dutch struggle inherited by two Dixcove chiefs
- 'You did zero' - Akufo-Addo challenges Mahama over cocoa record
- New IGP appointment good for Akufo-Addo but not Ghana – MP
- ¢10k bounty for information on whereabouts of missing gov’t vehicle
- 4 file to contest Dome Kwabenya NDC primary
- Wereko Brobby meets Akufo-Addo over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- No pickup, no mercy - NDC tells Savannah Region Minister
- Vigilantism Bill passed into law
- NIA begins registration exercise in Volta region
- CID’s investigation of Charles Bissue political – Martin Amidu
- NDC primaries: 74 pick forms for 18 constituencies in Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo resumes regional tours with Western, Central visit
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence