Former President Jerry John Rawlings on Saturday joined other mourners to pay their last respect to the late Steve Senu Akorli, a former Roads and Highways Minister.
The burial service at Adaklu-Kpetsu in the Adaklu District of the Volta Region attracted former ministers, former and sitting MPs, former Municipal and District Chief Executives and National Democratic Congress bigwigs, including the party's General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu Nketia.
The funeral also attracted the former Chief of Staff, Prosper Bani; former Health Minister Alex Segbefia and Anthony Karbo, Deputy Minister of Roads and Highways; Johnson Avuletey, Deputy Volta Regional Minister, and District Chief Executive of Adaklu, Donkor Phanuel Kadey.
Steve Akorli, a former Member of Parliament for the defunt Ho-East Constituency, died on March 3, 2019, after a short illness at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital.
In a tribute, Mr Asiedu Nketia said though Steve Akorli’s death was a pain to the Party, his life was worth celebrating.
He said the late Akorli was noted for his hard work and belief in selflessness, comradeship, fairness and faith in humanity.
A tribute from Parliament also described him as a "model Parliamentarian" for the 12 years that he was there.
In a sermon, Reverend Dr. Emmanuel K. Gbordzoe, the former Moderator of the Global Evangelical Church, said it was wrong for people to think they were "beyond God" because of their earthly positions.
“It is important for everyone to believe in God and not to put our trust in political parties, businesses or money," he said.
The service was well attended by people from all walks of life.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament
- Luxury vehicle tax inefficient, scrap it in budget review - Minority
- Rawlings on 3-day working visit to Burkina Faso
- Curb your voracious appetite for borrowing – Minority to gov’t
- Gov’t to probe Sir Adjaye's multiple contracts allegations
- Strengthen Ghana’s democratic credentials with ROPAA - Ambassador to EC
- C/R: NPP constituency executives demonstrate against Chairman
- Another police officer resigns to contest for parliamentary seat