Rashid Sumaila’s Mamelodi Sundowns were crowned as the Absa Premiership champions following their 3-0 victory against SuperSport United at the Loftus Stadium in Tshwane tonight.
The Brazilians, as Mamelodi Sundowns are affectionately referred to, are now on pole with 64 points with one fixture remaining. Second on the Absa Premiership log are Kaizer Chiefs with 60 points with a game to spare. Mathematically, Kaizer Chiefs cannot catch Mamelodi Sundowns on points after tonight.
Mamelodi Sundowns walk away with the R10 million in prize money. On top of that, Sundowns also won Absa Premiership Quarter 1, 3 and 4 – total of R4, 5 million.
Earlier this week, the PSL announced that the Absa Premiership Trophy together with Q3 & 4 prize money will be handed to Mamelodi Sundowns at their last fixture of the 2013/14 season on 10 May 2014 at the Harry Gwala Stadium.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- VAR set to be used in Premier League next season
- Kwesi Appiah defends Ghana's big-name recalls
- Mourinho better than Guardiola - Maradona
- Wayne Rooney to be England captain during farewell appearance
- 46 Sports Associations to benefit from GHASSEP Seminars
- UGBS Marketing lecturer argues Hearts-Umbro deal will cut local jobs
- U-17 WWC: All the best photos as Black Maidens make winning start
- Claudio Ranieri appointed as Fulham boss
- Santiago Solari appointed Real Madrid head coach until 2021
- U-17 WWC: Abdulai hat-trick leads Ghana past hosts Uruguay
- Dinnage to become first female Premier League chief executive
- U-17 WWC: Ghana coach eyes winning start against Uruguay
- 10 winners emerge in Maltavator Challenge season 2 Takoradi edition
- Solari to get Real Madrid job on permanent basis
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash