Rashid Sumaila’s Mamelodi Sundowns were crowned as the Absa Premiership champions following their 3-0 victory against SuperSport United at the Loftus Stadium in Tshwane tonight.
The Brazilians, as Mamelodi Sundowns are affectionately referred to, are now on pole with 64 points with one fixture remaining. Second on the Absa Premiership log are Kaizer Chiefs with 60 points with a game to spare. Mathematically, Kaizer Chiefs cannot catch Mamelodi Sundowns on points after tonight.
Mamelodi Sundowns walk away with the R10 million in prize money. On top of that, Sundowns also won Absa Premiership Quarter 1, 3 and 4 – total of R4, 5 million.
Earlier this week, the PSL announced that the Absa Premiership Trophy together with Q3 & 4 prize money will be handed to Mamelodi Sundowns at their last fixture of the 2013/14 season on 10 May 2014 at the Harry Gwala Stadium.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Callum Hudson-Odoi: Who is the Chelsea youngster and how good can he be?
- Australian Open: Wozniacki and Stephens through to third round
- Australian Open: Federer battles through against Dan Evans
- Tottenham's Kane out until March with ankle injury
- GFA Normalisation Committee outdoors ad-hoc committees
- Novak Djokovic starts Australian Open with straight-set win
- Houston Rockets: James Harden sets new NBA scoring record
- GPL clubs to play in Special Competition after NC meeting
- Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech to retire at the end of the season
- Australian Open 2019: Serena Williams cruises into second round
- Man City cruise past 10-man Wolves to keep pressure on Liverpool
- 40 to battle it out in Maltavator Challenge national finale
- Normalisation Committee postpone launch of Special Competition
- Murray loses possible farewell match at Australian Open to Agut
- De Gea can be Man Utd's greatest keeper - Solskjaer