Rashid Sumaila’s Mamelodi Sundowns were crowned as the Absa Premiership champions following their 3-0 victory against SuperSport United at the Loftus Stadium in Tshwane tonight.
The Brazilians, as Mamelodi Sundowns are affectionately referred to, are now on pole with 64 points with one fixture remaining. Second on the Absa Premiership log are Kaizer Chiefs with 60 points with a game to spare. Mathematically, Kaizer Chiefs cannot catch Mamelodi Sundowns on points after tonight.
Mamelodi Sundowns walk away with the R10 million in prize money. On top of that, Sundowns also won Absa Premiership Quarter 1, 3 and 4 – total of R4, 5 million.
Earlier this week, the PSL announced that the Absa Premiership Trophy together with Q3 & 4 prize money will be handed to Mamelodi Sundowns at their last fixture of the 2013/14 season on 10 May 2014 at the Harry Gwala Stadium.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Richard Commey, Liberty Industries call on Rawlings
- Caster Semenya: United Nations criticises 'humiliating' IAAF rule
- Black Stars vs Harambee Stars: 15 photos you missed from the Afcon qualifier
- Child refugee Berahino realises Burundi dream
- Mourinho's next move: Is there a club out there for the Not-As-Special One?
- ANALYSIS: Is it time for Kwesi Appiah's Black Stars to ditch playing 4-4-2?
- Schulz grabs late winner as Germany stun Netherlands
- Hazard scores on 100th Belgium appearance
- AFCON 2019: Full list of teams that have qualified
- Amewu breaks ground for construction of Hohoe Sports Stadium
- 2019 AFCON: Benin qualify as Adebayor's Togo go out
- Tanzania seal Afcon return after 39 years
- Appiah reveals reasons for Asamoah's no-show against Kenya
- First Ghana goal excites Caleb Ekuban
- Ghana 1-0 Kenya: Five things we learned