The Vice President of Ghana Alhaji Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has declared his support for the 3rd edition of the annual Sheikh Sharubutu Ramadan Cup.
At the launch of the 3rd edition on Thursday at the Holiday Inn Hotel here in Accra, a representative of the Vice President, Mohammed Abdulai Abu, pledged an amount of GH 10,000 towards the organization of this year's edition on behalf of the Vice President.
Meanwhile the Alhaji Adamu Iddrissu Foundation, formerly The Royal Bank Foundation, has renewed its sponsorship for the competition.
Senior Vice President of The Royal Bank, Dr. Kwame Baah Nuako announced a 30,000 cedis support to the competition.
The Royal Bank Foundation were the key sponsor of last year's edition, and Dr Baah Nuako said, their continuous support for the tournament is in fulfilment of the late founder of The Royal Bank, Dr Alhaji Adamu Iddrisu's commitment to the Ramadan Cup.
"Last year, Dr Adamu gave u his blessing to support this competition and a few months after, he passed away. He was committed to supporting this competition because of its values, and we are continuing this commitment through his foundation" Dr Baah Nuako said.
Dr. Baah Nuako lauded organisers of the tournament for their good organization, and further pledged a long partnership with the Shekh Sharubutu Ramadan Cup.
According to the coordinator of the tournament, Tamimu Issah, this year's edition will have sixteen teams participating namely Ashaiman, Alajo, Darkuman, Fadama, Madina, Mamobi, Nima, New Town, Nsawam, Sabon Zongo, Sukura, Tudu, Kasoa, Nungua Zongo, Ashale Botwe and Koforidua Zongo.
The football tournament, which is organised by Crisp Communications and named in honour of the National Chief Imam, Sheikh Usman Nuhu Sharubutu, brings together
Zongo communities to participate to mark the successful end of Ramadan each year, as well as strenghen bonds among the youth.
Black Stars defender, Rashid Sumaila presented a new trophy and medals for the winner and runner up respectively.
Other sponsors unveiled at the launch were Latex Foam Ghana Limited, Palace Shopping Mall, Afro Arab Group, Marwako Fast Foods, Ghana Gulf Chamber of Commerce and Nasco Electronics, who will support award categories with their sleek mobile phones.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AL-SMITH: Have Nigeria’s Super Falcons lost their fear factor? Looks like it.
- Yusif Abubakar: Former Aduana Stars coach dies
- 'Be more serious!' - Suarez urges team-mate Dembele to focus
- AWCON 2018: Ghana coach Bashir Hayford sure of victory over Mali
- 2018 Coca-Cola Clubs Minigolf League: Nutterz Putterz set the pace
- Altitude forced Ghana to slow down in second half - Kwesi Appiah
- Zverev stuns world number one Djokovic to win ATP Finals
- Switzerland come back to stun Belgium and reach Nations League semis
- Mauritania seal historic Afcon qualification
- AWCON 2018: Five-star Zambia trounce Equatorial Guinea
- AWCON 2018: South Africa stun Nigeria in Group B opener
- Kane inspires England comeback to seal UEFA Nations League finals place
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Jordan double gives Ghana victory over Ethiopia
- Give us spectacular goals, impressive set pieces - First Lady to Black Queens
- Thomas Partey shortlisted for BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018