Philippe Coutinho was in scintillating form as Liverpool bolstered their hopes of a top four finish with a 3-1 victory over Everton following a feisty Anfield derby
The Brazilian curled in his eighth goal of the season just 177 seconds after Matty Pennington had cancelled out Sadio Mane's solo opener to give the Reds the interval lead.
It capped a welcome return to form for Coutinho who then set up substitute Divock Origi to seal the league double over their neighbours on the hour.
Everton's main threat came from set pieces and their frustration at failing to triumph for a 13th straight derby threatened to boil over with Ashley Williams and Ross Barkley perhaps lucky to escape red cards.
The victory sees Jurgen Klopp's men move two points ahead of Manchester City into third spot, though the success was slightly soured by the loss of Mane to what looked like a nasty ankle injury.
The Reds have played at least two games more than the rest of their top four rivals, and the Citizens can edge ahead of them once again if they win at sixth-placed Arsenal on Sunday afternoon.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 'Be more serious!' - Suarez urges team-mate Dembele to focus
- AWCON 2018: Ghana coach Bashir Hayford sure of victory over Mali
- 2018 Coca-Cola Clubs Minigolf League: Nutterz Putterz set the pace
- Altitude forced Ghana to slow down in second half - Kwesi Appiah
- Zverev stuns world number one Djokovic to win ATP Finals
- Switzerland come back to stun Belgium and reach Nations League semis
- Mauritania seal historic Afcon qualification
- AWCON 2018: Five-star Zambia trounce Equatorial Guinea
- AWCON 2018: South Africa stun Nigeria in Group B opener
- Kane inspires England comeback to seal UEFA Nations League finals place
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Jordan double gives Ghana victory over Ethiopia
- Give us spectacular goals, impressive set pieces - First Lady to Black Queens
- Thomas Partey shortlisted for BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- AWCON 2018: Ghana open campaign with win over Algeria
- Nigeria return to Africa Cup of Nations