Sports Minister Isaac Asiamah has advised Black Stars coach Kwesi Appiah to select players to the senior national team based on merit.
Asiamah wants Appiah be very assertive and fair in his player selection as it has apparently not been the case in the recent years.
There is a general perception out there that players pay bribes to Ghana Football Association officials to receive call-ups and not as a result of their performances at club level.
And some players are surprisingly snubbed, albeit in top form for clubs, because they do not do the will of the top officials.
But Kwesi Appiah has been told not to follow the status quo.
‘’I urge him (Kwesi Appiah) to be very assertive, fair and firm in your selection of players to the Black Stars. Every Ghanaian is happy he is back and we must all support him.’ He said when Kwesi Appiah met him on Monday.
Government is ready to give the necessary support to Kwesi Appiah to succeed as the Black Stars coach,”
Kwesi Appiah is also head coach of the local Black Stars.
‘’It is very important that you help improve our local league, it needs to be strengthened and hope that you assist the Ghana Football Association with the ideas need to improve the Ghana Premier League’’
‘’He should stay focus on your job and make Black Stars greater than what it is now. Bring back the love of Ghanaians’’ He added.
Kwesi Appiah has been appointed manager following the departure of Avram Grant. He will officially start work on May 1.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze
- Atletico Madrid sign Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier
- Kotoko midfielder Kwame Bonsu completes move to Esperance
- CAF adopts one-leg finals for club competitions
- Real Zaragoza sign Raphael Dwamena from Levante
- Caf expands Women's AFCON to 12 teams
- Tunisia v Nigeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Blatter labels Samoura's Caf move 'colonialist'
- Pernell Whitaker was unique - Eddie Pappoe
- #AFCON Offside: Ismailia, the beautiful city without V8 [Photos]
- Ghana Football Awards billboards hit town
- Marc Batchelor: South African former footballer shot dead