The Volta River Authority (VRA) Tennis Club at Akosombo on Saturday, hosted their VRA counterpart from Accra in a special tennis friendly tournament in honor of the late Major Maxwell Mahama who was lynched to death by a mob at Denkyira Obuasi and then given a state burial.
Nana Kum Awortwi aka Aligo and Paapa Kwarteng Kwabena won the men’s doubles finals after beating Captain Alfred Okang and Yaw Akotuah 7-5. The winners dedicated their trophy to the two children, Jaden and Jerry Mahama, of the departed brave soldier who was described as a martyr.
At an early stage, the late Major Mahama developed the passion for tennis, joining Akosombo International school tennis team. His blistering form in tennis elevated him to becoming a member of Akosombo VRA club.
VRA tennis club presented an investment certificate worth 10,000 Ghana Cedis safely at the CDH Financial Holdings Group to the wife and children.
Engineer William Amuno, CEO of GRIDCO suggested that a regular tournament should be hosted at Akosombo in honor of the late officer whose death shocked and surprised the world.
Engineer Kirk Koffi, immediate past CEO of the VRA, who is chief patron of the club, urged members to believe in the Lord Almighty and His son Jesus Christ and give thanks for everything that happened in life.
He assured the wife and family of Major Mahama of any support that they might need as his husband was a son and hero.
Captain Alfred Okang, a leading member of the organisers of the event which coincided with the Republic Day celebrations hinted that their gesture to the family shows that the club (VRA Tennis Club) is ever ready to support the family.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash
- Caf calls off qualifier between Kenya and Sierra Leone
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Serie A: Higuain sent off as Juventus win at AC Milan
- Ligue 1: Cavani hits hat-trick as PSG thrash Monaco
- La Liga: Real Madrid beat Celta to narrow Barca lead
- Copa Libertadores final: River Plate earn draw at Boca Juniors in thrilling first leg
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana beat South Africa in final warm-up game
- Inter Allies mar Hearts of Oak birthday to win Anniversary Cup
- Man City claim deserved derby victory over Man Utd
- Mkhitaryan rescues Arsenal against Wolves
- Messi returns but Barca beaten at home by rampant Betis
- McDan Group takes boxing to Tamale
- Liverpool make hard work of victory over struggling Fulham
- Host Ghana name final squad for 2018 AWCON