Over 40 sports associations under the National Sports Authority will be afforded the opportunity to learn new Psychological techniques when the Ghana Society of Sport and Exercise Psychology (GASSEP) launches a major project this month.
GHASSEP, through its local and international partners, intends to provide a variety of programmers that combines natural and social sciences and would deliver interdisciplinary skills and techniques to prepare the students, athletes, coaches and other analogous staff in the sports industry.
Members of the Society would be eligible for further training and development in both local and international institutions.
Members looking to pursue a career in the applied setting may consider a career as a sport psychological expert, providing performance and personal development support to professional and recreational athletes or clients in physical activity or exercise setting.
Besides self-employment, potential employers may include many associations, sports clubs and support centres for competitive sports and fitness centres, reflecting the growing demand for sport psychology consultants.
Furthermore, potential job market to specifically search for sport and exercise professionals with effective diagnostics and interventions (including quality management and evaluation) background as specialists.
With the growing popularity and relevance in health, leisure and elite sport in Ghana, it is surprising that this all-important field is at its nascent stage, development and recognition in the country.
An area that is not well understood and appreciated. Therefore, the launching of GHSSEP goes beyond the fundamentals of psychological science by focusing on significant areas in applied contexts of sport and exercise while providing a critical knowledge about the application of scientific and cognitive-behavioural principles in sport and exercise.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss
- Multimedia secures radio rights for TOTAL AFCON2019 coverage
- NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors beat Golden State Warriors to win first title
- Chelsea agree deal for Maurizio Sarri to join Juventus
- Women's World Cup: Marta has record to rival Brazil legends Ronaldo and Pele
- Hazard unveiled to Real Madrid fans – ‘I’m here to win titles’
- 2019 AFCON: Algeria drops player for exposing 'buttocks' in video
- Women's WC: Australia fight back as Brazil suffer first group-stage defeat in 24 years
- Premier League fixtures 2019-20: Man United face Chelsea on opening day