The Confederation of African Football (Caf) looks set to award the 2020 African Nations Championship (CHAN) to Cameroon after Ethiopia appeared to have withdrawn as hosts for the tournament that is only open to locally-based players.
Caf president Ahmad, speaking in Egypt on Friday, said the issue was discussed by African football's ruling body ahead of Friday's draw for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
"We had a reconvening of the Executive Committee," Ahmad told reporters.
"It resulted in some fairly important points, including the nomination of Caf's new secretary general and Ethiopia's withdrawal as CHAN hosts in 2020.
"We attributed it [Chan 2020], directly, by a tacit agreement, to Cameroon for 2020.
"Therefore, this will allow us to be better prepared for the African Nations Cup," Ahmad added.
Last week, the Ethiopia Football Federation president Esayas Jira said their preparations to host the 2020 CHAN were behind schedule.
Cameroon was stripped of hosting rights for this year's Africa Cup of Nations and was awarded the 2021 edition.
No official statement on the 2020 CHAN has yet been made by Caf or Cameroon's FA, Fecafoot.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Akufo-Addo backs Kwesi Appiah's new Black Stars captain decision
- StarTimes to broadcast 2019 Copa Del Rey final
- Ghana does not belong to Asamoah Gyan, he can go – Grunsah
- Arsenal's Mkhitaryan to miss Europa League final due to security concerns
- André Ayew set to be named new Ghana captain
- Kwesi Appiah forced Gyan to retire - Asamoah’s Aide
- Highlights: Asamoah Gyan, 16 years a Black Star [Video + infographic]
- Manner of Gyan's retirement reveals true, fractured state of Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Ghana can end AFCON drought with TB Joshua's help - Richard Kingson
- Why African players are dominating European leagues
- Bolivian referee dies after collapsing during match
- Kofi Addo-Agyekum grateful to SWAG
- 'Quality not enough' to win Afcon - Thomas Partey
- Guardiola: 'Incredible' treble not enough for Man City without Champions League