Phil Foden's first Premier League goal returned Manchester City to the top of the table as they overcame Champions League conquerors Tottenham at Etihad Stadium.
The 18-year-old's diving header, created by Sergio Aguero, after only five minutes ensured the reigning champions maintained the pressure on rivals Liverpool before their match at Cardiff City on Sunday.
It was, however, a nervous performance in a game a far cry from the drama of Wednesday's European game here as City relied on goalkeeper Ederson to make several crucial saves and they also lost key midfielder Kevin de Bruyne to injury.
Foden gave City the perfect start but Ederson thwarted Son Heung-min on three occasions and saved well from Christian Eriksen and Lucas Moura. Son was also denied by a magnificent tackle by Aymeric Laporte.
Raheem Sterling had City's best chance after the break, only to be frustrated by the outstretched leg of Spurs keeper Paulo Gazzaniga - in for injured Hugo Lloris - but Pep Guardiola's side held on to move a point clear of Liverpool with four games left.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Hearts on penalties to reach finals
- Ghana 0-0 South Africa: Black Stars players rated
- Chelsea confirm departure of Maurizio Sarri to Juventus
- Pogba: I’m thinking of a new challenge
- Fury stops Schwarz in second round of heavyweight fight
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Colombia beat Messi's Argentina at Copa America
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss
- Multimedia secures radio rights for TOTAL AFCON2019 coverage