The McDan ITF World Tour tennis is set to take place following a successful launch on Easter Friday, 29 April 2019.
The McDan ITF World Tour is an upgrade of the annual McDan West Africa Open tournament sponsored by the McDan Group of Companies led by Dr Daniel McKorley.
This year’s tournament has been made possible by the McDan Foundation in collaboration with the Ghana Tennis Federation and Tennis Foundation Ghana. It is scheduled from April 29 to May 4 at the Accra Stadium.
And to ensure its high stakes, organizers of the prestigious event have increased the prize money to $15,000.
The winner of the Men’s Singles event will pocket US$2,160, representing 14.40 per cent of the total prize package with the runner-up taking home US$ 1,272.
Semi-finalists, he said, will earn US$753; quarterfinalists will take US$438; round of 16 players will earn US$258 with round of 32 players taking home US$156.
In the Doubles event, the winning duo will take home US$930; finalists will earn US$540; semi-finalists taking home US$324; quarterfinalists will earn US$192 and US$108 for the round of 16 participants.
Ghana Tennis Federation (GTF) president, Isaac Aboagye Duah commended organizers of the McDan Open which started in 2014 and it has succeeded in reviving the sport.
He pointed out that McDan’s ingenuity to acquire ITF status should be highly commended.
To him, the forthcoming international tourneys where players will participate for ITF/ATP points and money is welcoming news to the Federation after many years of absence in Ghana.
According to the GTF President, the tourney is opened to players across the globe.
Mcdan Foundation, head of marketing, Gerald Owusu Ansah also said, “Organizing an ITF tournament has been a challenge for the Tennis Federation but through the McDan Foundation we have been able to secure sanction from ITF and we believe in no time we will produce stars from Ghana.”
He added, “I sit here today instead of CEO Dr Daniel McKorley as the Foundation head, to let you know that the Foundation will continue to sponsor more ITF tourney next year.”
Head of Marketing for Twellium Industries Limited, Emelia Gyasi said, “We join McDan five years ago and we realized its a good platform for us to project our products.
“Associating ourselves with the McDan tennis tourney has projected our products in Ghana and beyond.”
The forthcoming tourney has received supports from Twellium Industries, Palace Decor, Interplast Company Limited, Hollard Insurance and FOX Cooling.
FOX Cooling General Manager, Mario Yazbeck and Interplast PRO Elizabeth Gyebi in separate words pledged their support for the tournament.
More Sports Headlines
- Former Nigeria great Samson Siasia handed life ban by Fifa
- Aduriz, 38, scores stunning goal as Athletic Bilbao beat Barcelona
- Coutinho set for Bayern Munich loan move
- Ghana's Patrick Twumasi joins Turkish club on loan
- Skyy FC owner unhappy with Normalisation Committee's draft statutes
- Andre Ayew focused on Swansea amid transfer rumours
- Liverpool goalie could miss Southampton game after pitch invader injured his ankle
- Hazard out of Madrid season opener with thigh injury
- Neymar has 'made mistakes' in pushing for PSG exit
- La Liga preview: Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid set for three-horse title race
- Chelsea condemn racist abuse towards striker Abraham
- Agyemang-Badu recovering steadily after blood clot scare
- Messi, Ronaldo and Van Dijk nominated for UEFA award
- I've not signed to fight Joshua in Saudi Arabia - Ruiz Jr
- #JoyFPL: Possible replacements for Alisson in Gameweek 2