WAFA preserved their unbeaten record in the Normalisation Committee Special Cup with a 3-2 win over Hearts of Oak in Sogakope on Sunday.
The Academy Boys, as a result, have taken over the top spot in Zone B. WAFA made a bright start and deservedly took the lead in the 12th minute when Jamal Haruna connected into the roof of the net from an acute angle.
However, Heats captain Fatawu Mohammed restored parity before halftime.
After the break, Hearts of Oak looked better and dominant but WAFA were more purposeful upfront. They scored two goals through Lomotey and Bortey Acquaye before the 58th minute to make it 3-1.
The Phobians reduced the deficit with less than ten minutes on the clock when Christopher Bonney converted a spot kick.
In Tema, Isaac Donkor was the unsung hero Ebusua Dwarfs stunned Inter Allies 1-0 to end their winless run in the competition. The Cape Coast-based side had earned just one point from five games before Sunday.
At the Carl Reindorf Park in Dansoman, Simon Zibo scored in the first half to help Liberty Professionals overcome a stubborn Dreams FC side while Elmina Sharks overpowered Karela United 2-0.
Elsewhere in Zone A, Berekum Chelsea produced a spirited performance to earn their first win of the competition at the expense of AshantiGold. The only goal of the game was scored by Kwame Amoako Antwi in the 70th minute.
Aduana Stars were held to a shock 1-1 draw by Bechem United as Medeama moved to the second position on Zone A table with a slender 1-0 win over Eleven Wonders in Tarkwa.
STANDINGS AFTER MATCHDAY 6 IN NC SPECIAL CUP
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support
- Solskjaer will get financial backing to 'create success' at Man United
- Thomas Partey could join Inter, claims agent
- Man City referred to UEFA judicial chamber over alleged FFP breaches
- FIFA seeks a billion World Cup viewers to boost women's game