On Wednesday, Asante Kotoko will welcome Zambia’s Zesco United to the Baba Yara Stadium for their second group game of the 2019 CAF Confederation Cup.
The Porcupine Warriors didn’t get their campaign off to a flyer as they were beaten 1-0 in Sudan by Al Hilal Omdurman. Which means tomorrow’s game is a must-win and anything short of victory will harm Kotoko’s chances of qualifying to the knockout stages.
However, CK Akonnor’s men must tread cautiously as their opponents will surely offer a stern test, taking into consideration their recent performances. The Zambians are in superb form, churning out impressive statistics.
Zesco’s last visit to Ghana saw them crash out of the 2014 CAF Confederation Cup following a 2-0 defeat to Medeama in Sekondi.
But they have improved tremendously in recent years. Since 2016, the Zegalacticos have not tasted defeat in West Africa.
They have played five matches – two against Ivorian giants Asec Mimosas, Stade Malien of Mali, Niger’s AS SONIDEP and Nigerian giants Enugu Rangers.
1-3 vs. Stade Malien – CAF CL
1-1 vs. ASEC Mimosas – CAF CL
1-2 vs. ASEC Mimosas – CAF CL
1-2 vs. AS SONIDEP – CAF CL
2-2 vs. Enugu Rangers – CAF CC
Wins – 3
Draws – 2
Goals for – 10
Goals Against – 6
Also, another stat that should be a worry for Kotoko is that Zesco are unbeaten in their last five games in all competitions this season.
3-1 vs. Kaizer Chiefs – CAF CC
1-2 vs. Kaizer Chiefs – CAF CC
0-1 vs. Green Buffaloes – Zambian league
2-0 vs. Nkana FC – CAF CC
2-0 vs. Nakambala Leopards – Zambian league
Goals for – 10
Goals Against – 2
With the numbers highlighted above, Zesco will fancy their chances but Kotoko must make the most of playing in front of an expected packed stadium.
The match will kickoff at 4 pm.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support
- Solskjaer will get financial backing to 'create success' at Man United
- Thomas Partey could join Inter, claims agent
- Man City referred to UEFA judicial chamber over alleged FFP breaches
- FIFA seeks a billion World Cup viewers to boost women's game