Ghana's Ambassador designate to the Kingdom of Belgium and Permanent Representative to the European Union H.E. Mrs Harriet Siaw-Boateng has donated tennis equipment to the Accra Lawn Tennis Club.
Mrs Siaw-Boateng, a former tennis player herself presented the items which comprised of tennis rackets, balls, shoes to the Ridge Church School Tennis Club and the Accra Lawn Tennis Club.
According to her, the donation of tennis equipment is to ensure that young tennis players enjoy the opportunity to further and improve their training.
"The Accra Lawn tennis club has been here for many years and it has developed a lot of players who have gone abroad and held the flag of Ghana high," she said
"Given the fact that it is a sport that develops you mentally, disciplines you, teaches you how to be strong and how to always wake up after failure.
She added that "We thought that starting with the young kids, they will learn all these principles that the game teaches. It is with this development that we have decided to train young children and bring them up in the sport. It will not be a one off, wherever we are we will try and develop the sport."
Mr Peter Annan, a member of the Ghana Tennis Federation and also an Executive member of the Accra Lawn Tennis club received the items.
He lauded Mrs Harriet Siaw-Boateng for the gesture and asked other individuals, groups and organisations to emulate the ambassador designate.
"Our doors are opened and we are always ready to teach the kids, all we need is the equipment and we thank madam for her kind gesture and I pray others will follow." He said
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss
- Multimedia secures radio rights for TOTAL AFCON2019 coverage
- NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors beat Golden State Warriors to win first title
- Chelsea agree deal for Maurizio Sarri to join Juventus
- Women's World Cup: Marta has record to rival Brazil legends Ronaldo and Pele
- Hazard unveiled to Real Madrid fans – ‘I’m here to win titles’
- 2019 AFCON: Algeria drops player for exposing 'buttocks' in video
- Women's WC: Australia fight back as Brazil suffer first group-stage defeat in 24 years
- Premier League fixtures 2019-20: Man United face Chelsea on opening day