The missing plane carrying Cardiff striker Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson has been found.
On Sunday night investigators said they had located the wreckage on the seabed of the English Channel and the families of those on board had been told.
Sala had just completed his £15million move to Cardiff when the plane carrying him and pilot Ibbotson disappeared over the English Channel on January 21 after leaving Nantes for the Welsh capital.
After rescuers and Guernsey police called off the official search, Sala’s sister, Romina, organised the GoFundMe page that led to a private search being started, and which eventually found the plane.
"Wreckage of the plane carrying Emiliano Sala and piloted by David Ibbotson was located early this morning," marine scientist David Mearns, who directed the search, said on Twitter.
Mearns said Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) had moved its vessel over the position his team had located to visually identify the plane using a remote-operated vehicle.
"The families of Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson have been notified by police. The AAIB will be making a statement tomorrow. Tonight our sole thoughts are with the families and friends of Emiliano and David," Mearns said.
The scene at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday. Getty Images
Cardiff paid tribute to the Argentine ahead of their 2-0 victory over Bournemouth on Saturday, the first home game since Sala’s disappearance.
(Additional reporting: Reuters)
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: Yacouba returns to inspire Kotoko to victory, Hearts confirm top spot in Premier B
- Nadal defeats Djokovic in Italian Open final to win first title of year
- Barca held by Eibar despite Messi double
- Real Madrid end campaign with 12th league defeat
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support