The "headquarters' of Zongos, Nima defeated New Fadama 1:0 to lift the 5th edition of the annual Sheikh Sharubutu Ramadan Cup.
With the National Chief Imam himself, Sheikh Osman Nuhu Sharubutu watching the finals and probably rooting for his base New Fadama for the trophy to go home, Nima continued their fine form throughout the tournament to deny Fadama the trophy.
It was a tight game, which the Fadama boys were slightly on top, but Nima struck late in the game to win the trophy for the first time, after losing the finals of the maiden edition to Ashaiman.
Without doubt, Nima and Fadama were the two best teams in the competition, and they deserved the honour of the finals, having been a delight to watch throughout the tournament.
Nima's road to the finals was a tough one, having knocked out Kasoa in the preliminary stage, Darkuman in the quarterfinals and arch rivals New Town in the semi-finals. Fadama on the hand knocked out defending champions Mamobi in the first round, former Champions Madina in the quarterfinals and Alajo in the semifinals.
The Sheikh Sharubutu Ramadan Cup is organised by Crisp Communications in honour of the National Chief Imam, Sheikh Osman Nuhu Sharubutu. The tournament seeks to bring together youth from various Zongo communities after Ramadan each year to promote discipline, unity and peace, in line with the acclaimed values of the National Chief Imam.
This year's edition was special, as it was used to celebrate the centenary birthday of Sheikh Sharubutu. As such, a special commemorative Chief Imam @100 jersey was used for the grand finale between New Fadama and Nima.
Sixteen Zongo communities participated in the tournament, and the winners received, as part of their prize, a brand new motorbike from Somoco Ghana LTD, who were one of the sponsors of the tournament. Other Sponsors were; Nasco, 5 Star Energy Drink, Afro Arab Group and Ashfoam.
The Chief Imam, who performed the opening ceremony of the one-day gala with Hon. Boniface Abubakar Sadique, Minister of State at the Office of the Vice President, returned in the evening for the grand finale with a powerful delegation including the President of the National Council of Zongo Chief, Alhaji Abdul Kadir Tahir, as well as Hon. Boniface.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Hudson-Odoi agrees five-year deal to stay at Chelsea
- Zidane denies showing Bale disrespect
- Hearts of Oak decide against renewing Malik Akowuah's contract
- Ronaldo will not face charges over alleged rape
- Hearts of Oak release goalkeeper Ernest Sowah
- Chelsea defender Ethan Ampadu joins RB Leipzig on loan
- Betway Talent Search 2019: Desire FC win Northern Zone
- 'Zidane is a disgrace!' - Bale's agent slams Real Madrid boss
- Ghana Football Awards: Partey retains Footballer of the Year crown
- Pacquiao beats Thurman on points to take WBA Super welterweight title
- CAF Competitions: Kotoko set for Nigerian challenge and Ashgold get Equatoguinean opponents
- Herve Renard resigns as Morocco coach
- Sports Minister to brief parliament on AFCON2019
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog