Ghana begins the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations campaign against West African neighbours Benin on Tuesday evening in Ismailia.
Coach Kwesi Appiah has named his lineup to face Benin nine hours before kick-off as the Black Stars seek to start this year’s tournament on a good note.
Ghana will open their account in Egypt tonight, but how have they fared in their AFCON openers since 2000?June 25, 2019
3 wins ✅
3 draws🤝#JoyAFCON #AFCON2019 #TotalAFCON2019 #BlackStars #FootballTogether #GoGhana #GHABEN pic.twitter.com/cHsY4c2zoj
Kwasi Appiah relied heavily on the 4-4-2 formation during the qualifiers but he is set to switch to a 4-2-3-1 formation.
A system he tried in Black Stars last pre-tournament friendly against South Africa which ended 0-0.
Despite the team failing to score, the performance exhibited according to Joy Sports’ tournament correspondent, Benedict Owusu, who watched the game, was very impressive.
Making their debuts in the Africa Cup of Nations will be Lumor Agbeyenu, Kasim Nuhu and Thomas Agyepong.
The shock omission is vice-captain of the side Kwadwo Asamoah who was expected to play in a midfield role. The Inter Milan star was reportedly Ghana's best player in two pre-tournament friendlies.
As expected, Maritzburg goalkeeper Richard Ofori is the first choice to start in goal.
With Harrison Afful failing to make the squad due to injury, Reading defender Andy Yiadom starts right back with Lumor Agbeyenu starting ahead of Baba Rahman.
Metz defender John Boye will partner German-based Kassim Nuhu with Mubarak Wakaso and Partey shielding the back four.
Atsu will play from his favourite right flank and Thomas Agyepong will be on duty on the opposite flank.
Skipper Andre Ayew will play behind his brother Jordan Ayew.
Ghana's starting XI to face Benin:
Richard Ofori- Andy Yiadom, Lumor Agbeyenu, John Boye, Kasim Nuhu- Mubarak Wakaso, Thomas Partey, Thomas Agyepong, Christian Atsu, Andre Ayew-Jordan Ayew.
Follow all the tournament games with #JoyAFCON. There’s live radio commentary on Joy 99.7FM, post-match programs on Joy FM, JoyNews TV (available via MultiTV Digibox and on DStv channel 421), Joy Prime (on DStv 281), analysis shows, and fan zones. Follow complete social media coverage on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram with @JoySportsGH.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze