He has given Ghana some unforgettable moments of heartbreak, the most profound of which happened in July 2010 against Uruguay.
He has missed crucial penalties at other times. He has had a love-hate relationship with the national.
He has brought incredible joys and numbing pain, but Asamoah Gyan has been a staple contributor to the Black Stars since 2003.
Brought in to refresh the team as a teenager by Ralf Zumdick, he repaid the faith immediately with a goal against Somalia.
As Asamoah Gyan announced his retirement from the national team on Monday evening, here are the career highlights he has had in a Ghana jersey.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal