He has given Ghana some unforgettable moments of heartbreak, the most profound of which happened in July 2010 against Uruguay.
He has missed crucial penalties at other times. He has had a love-hate relationship with the national.
He has brought incredible joys and numbing pain, but Asamoah Gyan has been a staple contributor to the Black Stars since 2003.
Brought in to refresh the team as a teenager by Ralf Zumdick, he repaid the faith immediately with a goal against Somalia.
As Asamoah Gyan announced his retirement from the national team on Monday evening, here are the career highlights he has had in a Ghana jersey.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Afcon 2019: Benin forces draw from Ghana in group opener
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon too strong for Guinea-Bissau
- AFCON 2019: Why this may be Ghana's best yet
- AFCON 2019: Black Stars XI v Benin - Kwadwo Asamoah benched
- AFCON 2019: Can Ghana win? Kinna Likimani doubts
- AL-SMITH: The Black Stars patriotism, under scrutiny, demands an emphatic answer
- Cameroon v Guinea-Bissau: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- Afcon 2019: Ayew optimistic about Ghana victory against Benin today
- Ghana v Benin: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Mali dominant in win against Mauritania
- Jordan Ayew, the stagnation of a one-time Ghana prodigy
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon's Joel Tagueu ruled out of tournament with heart defect
- Prof. Wallace writes: Black Stars' pre-tournament 'goal drought'; a cause for concern?
- AFCON 2019: Djalma secures crucial point for Angola against Tunisia
- AFCON 2019: Asamoah Gyan set for another milestone