President Akufo-Addo has backed the decision by Coach Kwesi Appiah to hand over the captaincy of the senior national football team, the Black Stars, to a different player other than Asamoah Gyan.
The president reportedly threw his support behind the decision in a telephone conversation with Coach Tuesday, May 21, Joy Sports can report.
Asamoah Gyan in a statement issued Monday, May 20, said he will not feature for the Black Stars at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
Gyan 33 and Ghana’s all-time goal scorer, claimed that he was reliably informed the trainer intends to name a different player as the new captain for the team going into the 2019 AFCON while he (Gyan) is made the general captain.
Read also: André Ayew set to be named new Ghana captain
The competition is exactly a month away in Egypt.
Following the shock announcement by Gyan, President Akufo-Addo called Appiah on the phone to seek further clarification on the development.
The president asked about the current happenings on the Black Stars, notably the surprise retirement of skipper Asamoah Gyan.
President Akufo-Addo visited Black Stars ahead of the 2019 AFCON qualifier against Ethiopia in Addis Ababa
Appiah apprised Nana Akufo-Addo of his decision relating to the issue and the president, in turn, backed the coach 100%, expressing his confidence in Appiah’s team choices.
Gyan was named the captain of the Black Stars days before the 2013 AFCON tournament.
There are suggestions the coach will name Gyan’s deputy, Andre Dede Ayew as the substantive captain when he releases his provisional squad for the AFCON.
Kwesi Appiah will in the coming days announce his provisional squad which will start preparations for the tournament in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
The senior national team last won the competition in Libya in 1982.
Since then they have been to three finals and this year in Egypt they are in a group alongside holders Cameroon, Guinea-Bissau and Benin.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Zidane denies showing Bale disrespect
- Hearts of Oak decide against renewing Malik Akowuah's contract
- Ronaldo will not face charges over alleged rape
- Hearts of Oak release goalkeeper Ernest Sowah
- Chelsea defender Ethan Ampadu joins RB Leipzig on loan
- Betway Talent Search 2019: Desire FC win Northern Zone
- 'Zidane is a disgrace!' - Bale's agent slams Real Madrid boss
- Ghana Football Awards: Partey retains Footballer of the Year crown
- Pacquiao beats Thurman on points to take WBA Super welterweight title
- CAF Competitions: Kotoko set for Nigerian challenge and Ashgold get Equatoguinean opponents
- Herve Renard resigns as Morocco coach
- Sports Minister to brief parliament on AFCON2019
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid