Plans to expand the 2022 World Cup to 48 teams have been abandoned by Fifa.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino said last year the expansion from 32 teams could be brought forward from 2026 to the 2022 tournament in Qatar.
The change would have required Qatar to share hosting duties with other countries in the region.
World football's governing body said after a "thorough and comprehensive consultation process" the change "could not be made now".
Fifa also said it explored the possibility of Qatar hosting a 48-team tournament on its own but has decided not to pursue those plans as there was not enough time "for a detailed assessment of the potential logistical impact".
In a statement, Qatari World Cup organisers said: "Qatar had always been open to the idea of an expanded tournament in 2022 had a viable operating model been found and had all parties concluded that an expanded 48-team edition was in the best interest of football and Qatar as the host nation.
"With just three and a half years to go until kick off, Qatar remains as committed as ever to ensuring the 32-team Fifa World Cup in 2022 is one of the best tournaments ever and one that makes the entire Arab world proud."
In November, Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said adding 16 teams to Qatar 2022 could create "many problems" and described the idea as "quite unrealistic".
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Hearts on penalties to reach finals
- Ghana 0-0 South Africa: Black Stars players rated
- Chelsea confirm departure of Maurizio Sarri to Juventus
- Pogba: I’m thinking of a new challenge
- Fury stops Schwarz in second round of heavyweight fight
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Colombia beat Messi's Argentina at Copa America
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss
- Multimedia secures radio rights for TOTAL AFCON2019 coverage