A tourist bus has overturned on the Portuguese island of Madeira leaving 28 people dead and others injured.
The deaths were confirmed by Lusa, the national news agency.
German newspaper Bild said nine German tourists had died in the accident at Caniço. The coach was said to be carrying 50 passengers.
Details are sketchy but Portuguese media showed an overturned bus surrounded by firefighters.
The cause of the crash is not known, nor are the nationalities of all those on board.
More World Headlines
- Nigerian teenager stages own kidnap for party money
- Israel bars two members of U.S. congress
- Tanzania tanker explosion death toll reaches 85
- Canadian PM Trudeau broke 'conflict of interest rules' in corruption inquiry
- US: Share markets tumble as recession fears grow
- Kenya officials exhume man's body to retrieve uniform
- Trump official revises Statue of Liberty poem
- Nigeria's Buhari moves to block food imports
- Israeli billionaire to be tried over 'Guinea bribes'
- Trump targets legal migrants who get food aid
- Scientists hail promise of first effective Ebola treatments in Congo trial
- Thousands of protesters shut down Hong Kong airport as Beijing condemns 'terrorism'
- Sudan camp 'struggling with Eritrean arrivals'
- French charities rescue 81 more migrants off Libya
- Norway mosque shooting probed as terror act