A leading member of the New Patriotic Party, Dr Arthur Kennedy, says the only coup in Ghana’s political history which can be justified is the 1966 one which toppled the country’s first president.
Dr Kwame Nkrumah was overthrown on February 24, 1966 while on his way to Hanoi, Vietnam for peace talks.
The coup d’etat, organized by dissident army officers, toppled the Nkrumah government and was promptly hailed by Western governments, including the U.S.
The first of a string of coups that bedeviled the country, the 1966 coup was said to be orchestrated by leaders of the UP tradition and carried out by dissident soldiers with backing from the CIA.
Although Prince Derick Adjei says that coup marked the beginning of Ghana’s economic woes, Dr Kennedy thinks the coup was justified.
“Have all these coups helped our nation’s development?” asked Joy FM’s Super Morning Show host, Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah.
In answer to the question, Dr. Kennedy said “largely no.”
The only circumstance under which a coup may be justified, he argued, is when it is impossible for citizens to change the leadership of the country through the ballot box.
For him, since Dr Nkrumah had turned Ghana into a one-party state, it was impossible to change government through the ballot box.
Under such conditions, the only way to restore the rights of the people, he noted, is to remove the dictatorship.
The NPP guru said beyond the 1966 coup, none of the other intrusions into the political scene was warranted.
He accused the architects of some post ’66 coups are perpetrating the very crimes they used at raison d’ente to stage such coups.
Story by Malik Abass Daabu/Myjoyonline.com
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- NDC suspects doctoring of Techiman South election summary sheets
- Stolen ring causes teenager’s finger to rot at Pantang
- We’re running into a credibility problem – Kunbour on unanswered calls for NDC’s election 2020 collated figures
- Murder suspect claims he mistook aeronautical engineer for a pig at Akyem Asuboa
- ECG to announce ‘dumsor’ timetable for works on Pokuase BSP
- Akuapem Poloo granted ¢80k bail
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Contracts awarded to Zoomlion, Frontiers Healthcare Solution, others were in breach of procurement practices – Report
- Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
Travis Barker celebrates Kourtney Kardashian on her birthday
Social media users angry DKB is soliciting funds on behalf of Akuapem Poloo
We set out to protect lives and property – Ghana Police Service on arresting hooligans at match centres
Akuapem Poloo granted ¢80k bail
Super League won’t go ahead after English clubs withdraw
Super League: Liverpool owner John W Henry apologises to fans
GNAT asks government to release textbooks based on new curriculum for teachers and pupils
World reacts to death of Chad President Idriss Deby
Senyo Hosi: When shall we breathe?
Meet 2 life-changing health professionals in Northern Ghana
The beauty ideal fuelling an illicit drugs trade
Dental trauma: What to know and what to do
Murder suspect claims he mistook aeronautical engineer for a pig at Akyem Asuboa
Meet the midwife driving a ‘Wooden Door Ambulance’ to save lives
Egyptian railways boss sacked after deadly crash