Twenty people, all of them foreigners, were killed during an attack by suspected Islamist militants on a cafe in Bangladesh, the army says.
Gunmen stormed the Holey Artisan Bakery cafe in Dhaka late on Friday before troops entered almost 12 hours later.
Six of the attackers were also killed and one was arrested, a government spokesman said. The attack was claimed by the so-called Islamic State (IS).
Italy's Prime Minister Matteo Renzi confirmed Italians were killed.
He offered condolences to the victims' families and, referring to the attackers, said: "Our values are stronger than hatred and terror."
Italian news agency Ansa said up to 10 Italians may be unaccounted for. The Italian press said many of those dining at the cafe worked in the garment industry.
In other developments:
– India's foreign minister said one Indian national was among the dead
– Bangladesh Army Brig Gen Naim Asraf Chowdhury said the victims had been "brutally" attacked with sharp weapons
– Japan's Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Koichi Hagiuda said seven other Japanese nationals were in the cafe, but that the government had not yet been able to contact them
– Gen Chowdhury said 13 people were rescued, including one Japanese national and two Sri Lankans
The siege began as diners were gathering to break their fast during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
"It was an extremely heinous act," Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said in a televised statement. "What kind of Muslims are these people? They don't have any religion.
"My government is determined to root out terrorism and militancy from Bangladesh."
Bangladesh's Daily Star newspaper said the gunmen tortured anyone who was unable to recite the Koran. They provided meals overnight for only the Bangladeshi captives, it said.
Sumon Reza, a supervisor at the cafe, was in the restaurant in Gulshan district when the attack began, but managed to flee to the roof.
"The whole building was shaking when they set off explosives," he told media in Bangladesh. He later jumped off the roof and escaped.
"From 08:00 it all started," said Rashila Rahim, who lives near the cafe. "Gunshots, tank sounds… It was like we were in the middle, and gunshots from all around."
The attack began when eight or nine armed men burst into the cafe in the diplomatic area of the city at about 21:20 (15:20 GMT) on Friday and opened fire.
Media reports quoted witnesses as saying that "Allahu Akbar", meaning "God is great", was heard as the militants entered the cafe, which is popular with expatriates, diplomats and middle-class families.
At least two police officers were killed in exchanges of fire late on Friday, and 30 police officers were injured.
A statement on the IS's self-styled Amaq news agency said militants had attacked a restaurant "frequented by foreigners". It said that more than 20 people "of different nationalities" had been killed but this has not been confirmed.
Lt Col Tuhin Mohammad Masud, commander of the Rapid Action Battalion, told Associated Press the gunmen did not respond when asked to negotiate. It is unclear if they made any demands.
The attack comes after a spate of murders of secular bloggers, gay activists, academics and members of religious minorities, blamed on Islamist militants.
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- NDC suspects doctoring of Techiman South election summary sheets
- Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor
- Stolen ring causes teenager’s finger to rot at Pantang
- We’re running into a credibility problem – Kunbour on unanswered calls for NDC’s election 2020 collated figures
- ECG to announce ‘dumsor’ timetable for works on Pokuase BSP
- Kasoa ritual killing: State charges 2 teenage suspects with murder
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Daniel Mminele steps down as Absa Group Chief Executive
- Chad President Idriss Deby dies ‘in clashes with rebels’
Kojo Adaah: Policy measures for sustainable job creation in Ghana
European Super League: All six Premier League teams withdraw from competition
Events Vendors Association executives call on Tourism Minister
There’s no cause for alarm – Linda Dor assures public following reports of theft
NDC cadre could’ve asked for 2020 election collated figures if interested – Ade Coker to Kunbour
Hacklab 2021 ends with 9 commercially viable AI solutions
22-year-old sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for defilement
2 suspects arrested for burning 64-year-old woman in North East Region
Derek Chauvin found guilty on all charges in the death of George Floyd
CHAG, SafeCare Ghana certify 28 assessors for nationwide evaluation of CHAG facilities
GWCL to cut water supply to parts of Accra from Thursday
Cargo truck involved in accident at Kadjebi
Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
Brace yourselves for more floods until wetlands are reclaimed – NADMO to Kumasi residents