The Minority in Parliament has raised red flags about a portion of the 2020 budget which allocates GH¢6million to “government communication.”
The Minority says upon their thorough perusal of the budget and policy document, there is no specific venture the money is being used for.
MP for Asunafo South Constituency, Eric Opoku, alleges the money is intended for the New Patriotic Party’s communication for the 2020 elections.
He says the National Democratic Congress MPs would fight approval of the money if the government does not come clean.
“Why should they use the taxpayers’ money for their personal gain,” he quizzed.
Mr. Opoku who is the Ranking Member on the Agric Committee raised the concerns when the House was debating the Agric potion of the budget.
But the speaker would not allow him, citing the relevance of his query to the topic being discussed.
A clearly peeved Agric Minister, Dr. Owusu Afriyie Akoto would not respond to journalists’ queries about the GH¢6million allocation.
He said the Ranking Member was out of order since the money is not under his sector.
“I have been a Ranking Member before and this is not how we conduct a debate on Agriculture,” he fumed.
- Election 2020: It is absolutely preposterous to think NDC didn’t collate its results – Afriyie Ankrah
- Headmaster found hanging dead from a tree behind his house in Techiman
- ‘I find myself in a very enviable position’ – Hassan Tampuli on ministerial appointment
- 5 Ghanaians arrested in Dubai for smuggling weed; one jailed for 10 years
- Power providers can’t guarantee consistency with ‘dumsor’ timetable – Energy Analyst
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- Kumasi traders call on ECG to extend ‘dumsor’ timetable to Ashanti region
- Hyundai, KIA to establish assembly plants in Ghana in 2022
- There’s no scientific evidence that Free SHS led to success in WASSCE – Peter Anti
- Ghana School of Law to celebrate legacy of Okyeame Baffour Osei Akoto
2 sales personnel convicted for stealing
Armed illegal chainsaw operators frustrating forestry officers in Dormaa West District
Protect Ghana’s Covid-19 strides – GHS advises increased adherence to protocols
Court jails labourer 15 years for defilement
Eli Hini appointed as first CEO of MobileMoney Limited
Government procures 4 more pre-assembled P3 labs for Covid-19 testing – Dr Kuma-Aboagye
2020 Volta Regional Best Cocoa Farmer awardees finally receive prizes after Joy News report
Obour reacts to Mark Okraku Mantey’s deputy ministerial appointment
Senior U.S. commerce official discusses trade partnership with Ghanaian businesses
Some 33 immigrants from West Africa deported for using unapproved routes
Dam serving about 3900 residents of Yoggu dries up
Consultants who overprice road projects will be prosecuted – Roads Minister
Sekondi-Takoradi to have a dual carriage road
Fate of AirtelTigo must not be like most government parastatals – Sam George
African countries at risk of major measles outbreak over delayed vaccination exercise, WHO says