Government has justified the non-completion of some infrastructure projects under the Sinohydro deal with China.
According to government, the phased plan along which the projects are supposed to commence is the reason for the seeming slowdown in activity as far as the project is concerned.
The Office of the Vice President says so far, “they have done over $100 million worth of work from 2019.”
“The commencement was in 2019, but other batches were in 2020. So they are all at different stages of completion. The $100 million you’re talking about, they are just one and half years into construction,” the Director of Special Projects and Investor Relations at the Vice President’s office said on Joy FM.
In May 2018, government signed a Master Project Support Agreement with Sinohydro for the construction of key infrastructure in exchange for the proceeds of Ghana’s refined bauxite.
The $2 billion deal included the Adenta-Dodowa road was one of ten lots approved under the Chinese-sponsored arrangement and scheduled to begin in 2019.
A report by JoyNews’ Evans Mensah revealed that two years on, the road remains undone, in a complete state of disrepair, with traffic congestion worsening by the day.
Per JoyNews checks, the Adenta situation is similar to many other projects earmarked for execution under the deal.
But the Director of Special Projects at the Office of the Vice President says there is no cause for worry.
Speaking on the Joy FM Super Morning Show, Dr Muntaka Alolo reiterated that the projects have been scheduled to be completed in phases.
“The rest will start by end of this year or early next year. Even the ones that have all started didn’t all start at the same time,” he said.
Some of the projects, according to Dr Alolo, have been completed and are being used. Others are at various stages of completion.
“Even the 10 lots that we took to Parliament, they are being done in phases,” he added on Monday.
He also indicated that the projects that have already commenced, including the Tamale Interchange, are far advanced.
In November 2018, the government announced that the first tranche of $649 million from the $2 billion facility has been made available for Ghana to access.
However, three years later, only about $100 million of this amount has been released to Ghana.
- Reckless driver in viral video fails to appear in court after falling sick
- ‘I only met Godfred Dame to discuss Law School issues’ – Justice Dotse fights off Opuni bias claims
- I doubt impartiality of Justice Dotse; he should recuse himself – Opuni
- Court grants ‘Jesus Ahuofe’ ¢100k bail over Shatta Wale hoax shooting
- Sudan general declares state of emergency amid coup
- 37th ICAG Graduation Ceremony: female UEW graduate adjudged overall best candidate
- Auditor-General uncovers ¢44m worth of abandoned projects, completed projects not put to use across
- Oyibi, Apollonia, Awoshie and other areas to experience power interruption
- Madina MP leads constituents to demonstrate over deplorable roads
- Thousands throng El-Wak stadium for Ghana Immigration Service screening
Agona East Assembly endorses President’s nominee
Women urged to have their breasts examined
Covid-19: Ghana’s death toll rises to 1,172
Re-nominated DCE of Adaklu fails second attempt
Treason: We don’t want to fail, it must happen – Dr Mac Palm
Message from the Morning Man: Pay for Pain
Stop begging for arrested criminals – Police to Politicians
SYND-Ghana hosts Pre-COP26 Youth Summit on climate change
There was about 1million vote difference between presidential and parliamentary results – Otokunor alleges
I blame EC for the 8 deaths recorded in 2020 elections – Otokunor
Delay in sanctioning culprits for deaths recorded in 2020 election worrying – Dr Pumpuni Asante
Ballot stuffing claims by NDC ‘bogus’ – Peter Mac Manu
EC reducing cost of elections per voter to $7.70 incorrect – Peter Otokunor
Streaming platforms do not properly represent massive support we give to our local musicians – Kwame Berko
2021 AFCON: Teams can have up to 28 players in squad