A 60-year-old farmer, James Obeng Boateng, from the Brong Ahafo region has been adjudged the 2018 National Best Farmer at a ceremony held in the Northern regional capital, Tamale.
Mr. Boateng from the Nkoranza South district of the region has been farming for the past 18 years, producing cassava, cocoyam, cereals, okro, pepper, garden eggs, mango and cashew.
The father of six also rears cattle, goats, sheep and manages two fish ponds as well as 100 boxes of beehives.
The national award comes with a ¢480,000 cheque, a huge improvement from the events first edition in 1985 where the winner took home cutlasses.
Mr. Obeng Boateng had his cheque presented to him by the President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo at the events 34th edition.
In a citation, the overall best farmer was described as a philanthropist helping to renovate teachers’ bungalows in the district.
He is also a former 1st Runner-Up at the awards organised in the Nkoranza district of the Brong Ahafo region.
Mr. Obeng Boateng takes over from Philip Kweku Agyeman who won the 33rd edition in 2017 and also hails from the Brong Ahafo region.
It means Brong Ahafo region retains the national award.
A farmer from the Central region, Charity Akotia, was also adjudged the 1st Runner-Up while Alex Frimpong who farms in the Kwahu Afram Plains of the Eastern region took the 2nd Runner-Up position.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Poverty is our enemy; peace and development are our objectives -VP Bawumia
- Alan pays for printing of albums for 200,000 delegates
- Joy Prime premieres new telenovela ‘The Rich Also Cry’ on April 3, 2023
- ‘Reckless’ Gwyneth Paltrow caused Utah ski crash, lawyer says
- Photos: Newly-elected Rugby Africa President Herbert Mensah returns home
- World Water Day: AngloGold Ashanti hands over water systems to 4 communities
- Herbert Mensah receives rousing welcome after Rugby Africa Election win
- Proposed tax measures not new; will boost fiscal economy – Finance Ministry
- My vision is to become a servant for Keta and help with development – Dr Kojo Mensah
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Quick Angels supports 10 entrepreneurs with ¢25,000 each
- Should ECG stop revenue mobilisation exercise?
- Licensing cybersecurity professionals is critical – Antwi-Boasiako
- KNUST SRC to create permanent seat for disabled students
- Things we do to escape the economic hardship