Audio By Carbonatix
The management of Bank of Ghana has begun destroying the current cedi notes that come into its vaults.
The measure is to create space at the bank's vaults for the new Ghana cedis, which would be in circulation from July 1 2007.
The Ashanti Regional Manager of BoG, Mr Chris Apau Oppong, who announced this said over ยข700 billion worth of the bank's notes had already been destroyed in Ashanti Region alone.
He was speaking at the Ashanti Regional branch of Agricultural Development Bank (ADB) public education campaign on the re-denomination exercise in Kumasi on Friday.
Mr Oppong said all the current bank notes that went to the bank would not be returned into circulation. He urged the banks to take advantage of the re-denomination exercise to encourage non-accounts holders to open accounts with them in order to mob up all cash into the banking system.
Mr Kwame Owusu-Kodua, the General Manager of Banking Services of ADB, said the bank had established currency exchange centres in all its branches and agencies to assist non-accounts holders to exchange their monies.
He said the bank was changing its cheque books to reflect the new currency and advised customers to start requesting for new cheque books to facilitate their transactions.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
57 minutes -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
2 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
2 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
2 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
2 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
2 hours -
GhanaโECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
3 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
3 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
3 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
3 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
3 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
5 hours -
Canada looks to trade talks after US Supreme Court tosses Trump’s tariffs
5 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso sign 7 cooperation agreements to deepen bilateral ties
5 hours -
Duraplast supports Accra sanitation drive with donation of 20 waste bins
5 hours
