Audio By Carbonatix
The family of John Singleton, the director, producer and screenwriter behind the 1991 film “Boyz N the Hood” and several other movies, said that they had directed doctors to pull him off life support on Monday after he suffered a stroke earlier this month.
“It is with heavy hearts we announce that our beloved son, father and friend, John Daniel Singleton will be taken off of life support today,” said the statement, which was released by Singleton’s publicist around 10 a.m. Pacific time. “This was an agonizing decision, one that our family made, over a number of days, with the careful counsel of John’s doctors.”
Singleton, 51, a native of South Los Angeles, was nominated for an Oscar for his directing in his debut film “Boyz N the Hood,” which centered on three teenagers growing up amid violence in his home city. Singleton was in his early 20s and fresh out of film school when he directed the film. He was the first African-American and the youngest person ever to be nominated for the award.
He went on to direct more than 10 films and TV series, including the recent FX crime drama “Snowfall,” about the 1980s crack cocaine epidemic in Los Angeles. His most prominent films after his debut include “Poetic Justice” (1993), a romantic melodrama starring Janet Jackson and Tupac Shakur, and “Rosewood” (1997), about a historical white mob massacre against a town of black residents in Florida.
Singleton has also directed episodes of “Empire,” “American Crime Story,” and “Billions.”
His family members started vying for control of his business affairsafter he had a stroke on April 17 and was hospitalized in an intensive care unit.
His mother, Shelia Ward, filed court papers in Los Angeles last week asking to be appointed temporary conservator, or guardian, saying that her son was scheduled to sign a lucrative settlement agreement around April 30 and would suffer a financial loss if no one could sign on his behalf. Singleton had not signed any health care directive or power of attorney, the papers said.
Ward said that Singleton was in a coma, but several of his children disputed her assessment of his medical state and opposed her controlling the medical and financial decision making. In an email last week, his daughter Cleopatra Singleton said family members were optimistic that he would recover.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
‘I’m a cocoa farmer too’ — Mahama speaks on price cuts and farmer pain amid crises
3 minutes -
Underground Mining Alliance donates Vein Finder to sickle cell unit of AngloGold Ashanti Health Foundation
4 minutes -
Police re-arrest Abdul-Aziz Iddrisu, suspected killer in Bawku chieftaincy violence
11 minutes -
Diaspora meets home: AkunaPod Retreat sparks new wave of film collaboration
12 minutes -
FDA warns against using ‘cement’ to preserve beans
21 minutes -
On signs the rising Steeplechase star from Africa, Mercy Chepngeno
28 minutes -
The People’s Forum protests cocoa price cut with billboards
32 minutes -
Kwaw Kese to refund $170 raised for Kwesi Arthur to donors after backlash
36 minutes -
Ghana Water MD urges public to report construction activities disrupting water supply
50 minutes -
Ghana Water unable to fund major projects due to financial constraints — Adam Mutawakilu
1 hour -
PPAG raises alarm over lack of sign language interpreters in public, private institutions
1 hour -
Black Stars ‘disastrous’ AFCON 2023 campaign didn’t surprise me – Kurt Okraku
1 hour -
Empower state agencies to work effectively to fight corruption – GACC
1 hour -
Blood, betrayal and the bill: Ghana’s paternity crossroads
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketia rejects Ministry of Interior report on 2024 election death
1 hour
