Audio By Carbonatix
A shooting at a mosque in Norway is being investigated as a possible act of terrorism, police say.
A gunman opened fire on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre, on the outskirts of the capital Oslo, on Saturday.
One person in the mosque managed to overpower the gunman and was injured in the process. The suspect was arrested after the attack.
Police also charged the suspect with murder after his 17-year-old stepsister was found dead in a separate location.
Acting chief of the police operation Rune Skjold said that the suspect, described as a white male, had been known to police before the incident but could not be described as someone with a "criminal background".
Mr Skjold said that the man appeared to hold "far-right" and "anti-immigrant" views and had expressed sympathy for Vidkun Quisling, the leader of Norway's collaborationist government during the Nazi occupation.
The suspect appears to have acted on his own.
Only three people were inside the mosque at the time of the attack.
Mohammad Rafiq, 65, was one of the first men to approach the attacker.
He told Reuters news agency: "I suddenly heard shouting from outside. He started to fire towards the two other men."
Mr Rafiq added that he then grabbed the attacker, holding him down and wrestling the weapons off the attacker.
Irfan Mushtaq told local channel TV2 that the attacker had "carried two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol".
Mr Mushtaq called on the government to take action to protect the Muslim population.
"For so many years, the secret police says the Muslims are the biggest risk for this country, but if you look at those last two major incidents of terrorist activities, it's not Muslims who have done this."
The mosque had previously implemented extra security measures after a gunman killed 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand earlier this year.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
26 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
30 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
54 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
6 hours