Audio By Carbonatix
Barcelona defender Gerard Pique admits times are tough for the Catalans right now but expects an improvement after the emergence of younger players.
Bartomeu and his board of directors quit the club last week after six years at the helm in order to avoid a vote of no confidence from members, leaving a legacy of plenty of trophies but a steady decline in results and a dire financial situation.
"It was obvious the club was on a downward trend and that every year things were getting a little bit worse than the last," Pique said after his side scraped a 2-1 win over Dynamo Kyiv in the Champions League on Wednesday.
"We all know the situation the club is in right now, we're going through a process of change which was badly needed."
The club are currently in the hands of interim president Carles Tusquets, with elections due to be held within the next three months, but Pique said the instability was no excuse for the team's inconsistent performances of late.
Although they have a 100% record in the Champions League, the Catalans have made a terrible start to La Liga and have failed to win their last four matches.
"There's no such thing as a transition year at Barcelona. We don't have much time to make changes but we need to make them if we are to improve," he said.
"A new board of directors and president is coming soon and things will change in the next few months."
Pique also admitted that his side are no longer among the top contenders to win the Champions League after their recent displays in the competition, above all the humiliating 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in August.
But he was optimistic about the future of the team, thanks to the emergence of exciting young talents such as Ansu Fati and Pedri.
"It's normal that people don't think we are candidates any more after the last few years, but all we can do is keep on working. We have a good team full of good people and we have a lot of talent," he said.
"We've got a lot of new young faces who are bringing plenty of dynamism to the team. I can tell you from experience that the results will come soon. We believe we can still do great things."
Latest Stories
-
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
12 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
12 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
13 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
13 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
17 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
30 minutes -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
33 minutes -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
47 minutes -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
59 minutes -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
1 hour -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
2 hours -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
2 hours -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
2 hours