Audio By Carbonatix
Barcelona says it "categorically denies" responsibility for the publication of Lionel Messi's $672 million contract, which was reported by Spanish newspaper El Mundo.
The contract would make Messi the highest paid athlete in sports history.
The club also said it will take legal action against the newspaper "for any damage that may be caused as a result of this publication."
According to the report, Messi's contract, which was signed in November 2017 and runs until June 30 this year, could have seen the star forward earn $167 million a season including bonuses.
The written agreement also reportedly includes an image rights contract.
"FC Barcelona expresses its absolute support for Lionel Messi, especially in the face of any attempt to discredit his image"
— CNN Football (@CNNFC) February 1, 2021
Barcelona denies responsibility for leak after report reveals Lionel Messi's record $672 million contract.
👉 https://t.co/OYonK0d7Gm pic.twitter.com/6JttUO4MkY
El Mundo also reports that Messi received a "renewal fee" of $139 million for accepting the contract and a $94 million loyalty bonus.
The club regrets [the contract's] publication given that it is a private document governed by the principle of confidentiality between the parties," said a statement from Barcelona.
FC Barcelona categorically denies any responsibility for the publication of this document and will take appropriate legal action against the newspaper El Mundo, for any damage that may be caused as a result of this publication.
FC Barcelona expresses its absolute support for Lionel Messi, especially in the face of any attempt to discredit his image, and to damage his relationship with the entity where he has worked to become the best player in the world and in football history."
CNN has contacted El Mundo in relation to Barcelona's statement but is yet to receive a response.

In its publishing of the story, El Mundo said the analysis of the document was a laborious process carried out in recent days.
"The world exclusive that El Mundo has published this Sunday is the result of many months of work, accelerated in recent days, when finally the most sought-after document reached the newsroom," reads an excerpt.
Messi has yet to publicly respond to El Mundo's story and didn't immediately respond to CNN's request for comment.
Meanwhile, Messi scored his 650th goal for Barcelona on Sunday in a 2-1 win against Athletic Bilbao.
His first-half free-kick and Antoine Griezmann's second-half winner saw Barcelona, now unbeaten in La Liga since December 5, move second in La Liga ahead of rival Real Madrid.
There has been much uncertainty about Messi's future at Barcelona after he admitted last year that he had wanted to leave the club.
He has also taken aim at the club's hierarchy, notably after former teammate Luis Suarez signed for Atletico Madrid in September.
Latest Stories
-
World Cup reality check: Mexico outclass Ghana with 2-0 win in Puebla friendly
34 minutes -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
53 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
2 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
2 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
4 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
5 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
5 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
6 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
6 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
7 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
7 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
7 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
7 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
7 hours