Audio By Carbonatix
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was appointed for a second five-year term on Friday by the 193-member U.N. General Assembly.
"I will give it my all to ensure the blossoming of trust between and among nations large and small, to build bridges, and to engage relentlessly in confidence building," Guterres told the General Assembly after taking the oath of office.
The 15-member Security Council earlier this month recommended the General Assembly re-appoint Guterres. His second term starts on beginning on Jan. 1, 2022.
Guterres succeeded Ban Ki-moon in January 2017, just weeks before Donald Trump became U.S. president. Much of Guterres' first term was focused on placating Trump, who questioned the value of the United Nations and multilateralism.
The United States is the largest U.N. financial contributor, responsible for 22% of the regular budget and around a quarter of the peacekeeping budget. President Joe Biden, who took office in January, has started restoring funding cuts made by Trump to U.N. agencies and re-engaged with the world body.
U.S. Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield said the United Nations faced historic challenges, but she hoped that with Guterres at the helm "the next five years will see more peace, more security, and more prosperity than the last."
"It will require hard work, political will, and accountability from all U.N. member states," she said in a statement, adding every member states should have "an impassioned commitment" to human rights.
Guterres, 72, was prime minister of Portugal from 1995 to 2002 and head of the U.N. refugee agency from 2005 to 2015. As secretary-general, he has been a cheerleader for climate action, COVID-19 vaccines for all and digital cooperation.
When he took the reins as U.N. chief, the world body was struggling to end wars and deal with humanitarian crises in Syria and Yemen. Those conflicts are still unresolved, and Guterres is also now faced with emergencies in Myanmar and the Tigray region of Ethiopia.
Latest Stories
-
Congo police fire warning shots in burial dispute after suspected Ebola death
1 minute -
Security officers involved in galamsey will face the law — Lands Ministry
3 minutes -
Keta MCE supports Keta FC with GH¢10,000 ahead of Middle LeagueÂ
4 minutes -
Livestream: JoyNews National Dialogue on Ghana’s youth and climate change
6 minutes -
Wontumi’s fate near as court gives final deadline for witnesses
7 minutes -
We have done no wrong – Group Ndoum says following court victory
9 minutes -
Dr. Gideon Boako warns banks may reject some forex deposits from next month
10 minutes -
Where typewriters still matter: The business keeping Kumasi’s old keyboard alive
10 minutes -
Growth in money supply slows down in April 2026 – BoG
21 minutes -
Ashaiman: Private developer demolishes traders properties to reclaim land
23 minutes -
“BoG failed to follow the appropriate steps before revocation of GN Savings and Loans’ licence”
30 minutes -
Ankaful Prison officers undergo Emergency Response Training to boost disaster preparedness
32 minutes -
Residents scramble for meat after train kills two cows at Avenor in Accra
32 minutes -
Vanessa Trump, former wife of Donald Trump Jr, diagnosed with breast cancer
44 minutes -
GSA to launch digital App for consumers to scan and identify non-standard products
48 minutes