Audio By Carbonatix
The country has lost 19,000 hectares of cocoa farmlands to illegal mining, according to the Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD).
According to the Public Relations Officer of COCOBOD, this was uncovered in research the outfit undertook earlier this year.
Fiifi Boafo who was on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show, said the lost lands represent two per cent of the cocoa farms in Ghana.
“And indeed, that was at the beginning of the year we’ve commissioned another research now and we think it will be worse than this,” he said on Thursday.
Mr Boafo bemoaned the devastating effects galamsey activities have had on the cocoa industry.
According to him, farmers now carry water from their homes to irrigate their plantations due to the pollution of water bodies that used to serve the purpose.
“The effects of illegal mining are far more than we are talking about. River bodies within the farming bodies are so polluted farmers are unable to use them to irrigate the farm. In instances where farmers use polluted water, every flower, as well as the pod on the tree, dropped.
“So there is the need to carry portable water from their houses to the farm to spray their cocoa,” he opined.
Conservations surrounding illegal mining resurfaced two weeks ago, after the second arrest of galamsey poster girl, Aisha Huang and two of her accomplices.
The Chinese national was first arrested in 2018 and deported in 2019. However, the galamsey kingpin managed to infiltrate the country again to continue her illegal mining activities.
Many have since accused the AkufoAddo government of failing to clamp down on galamsey as it promised.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
57 minutes -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
1 hour -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
1 hour -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
1 hour -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
2 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
2 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
2 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
2 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
2 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
2 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
3 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
3 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
4 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
4 hours
