Audio By Carbonatix
Cuba's communist government has cancelled Monday's traditional May Day parade because of acute fuel shortages.
Every year hundreds of thousands of people are bussed in from across the island to fill Havana's Revolution Square on International Workers' Day.
It is the first time since the 1959 revolution that the celebrations have been cancelled for economic reasons.
In recent weeks long queues have formed at petrol stations, with drivers often waiting for days.
Earlier this month, President Miguel Diaz-Canel said Cuba was only receiving two-thirds of the fuel it needs, adding that suppliers were failing to fulfil contractual obligations.
While Cuba has access to low-grade crude, the US-sanctioned island lacks the facilities to process it.
Deliveries of higher quality crude from Venezuela, Cuba's largest provider of fuel, have dropped by 50% in recent years.
Analysts say Venezuela is experiencing severe problems itself and finds it increasingly difficult to subsidise its socialist ally.

The shortages have added to daily pressures faced by Cubans. According to Spain's El Pais newspaper, a typical monthly salary is $150-200 (£120-160), while a litre of cooking oil costs $30.
The government insists that its state-driven socialist model is best for the country and blames the problems on longstanding US sanctions.
Cuban authorities have traditionally mobilised huge resources to ensure the success of the May Day parade, transporting workers en masse to Havana.
Before this year, the event had only ever been cancelled in 2020 and 2021, because of the Covid pandemic.
Local events are expected to go ahead instead, with people marching on foot.
Ulises Guilarte de Nacimiento, the head of the Workers' Cuba's main trade union said on Tuesday such acts would highlight "the obstacles to the development programmes due to the ironclad economic blockade".
Latest Stories
-
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
25 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
26 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
29 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
33 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
3 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
6 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
6 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours