Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Health Service (GHS) in the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis of the Western Region has recorded three new cholera deaths in the Metropolis bringing the total number of cases to five within the past week.
Dr Pius Mensah, the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolitan Director of Health, who briefed the media on the state of the cholera outbreak within the Metropolis, at Sekondi, said the total suspected cases had also jumped from 79 to 161, constituting 105 males and 56 females, and confirmed cases from 23 to 28, following an earlier update on November 20, 2024.
He mentioned New Takoradi and Takoradi as the two communities with the most reported cases of 31 and 25 respectively, with Fijai having the least cases of four.
Other hotspots are Kansaworado, Kojokrom, Ahinkofikrom, Kweikuma, Sekondi, Diabene and Essikado.
Dr Mensah stated that since the first case was recorded on November 4, health officials had been working assiduously to contain the spread of the disease within the Metropolis.
“… but the way things are going, it is important that we let the public know the state we find ourselves in so that we can all help do our best to break the chain of transmission.”
He, however, encouraged residents to remain calm whilst officials continued their efforts to bring the situation under control.
Dr Mensah also advised them to strictly adhere to the GHS laid down cholera preventive protocols to help stem the spread of the disease and seek immediate medical attention at the nearest healthcare facility when they experienced any cholera symptoms.
Mr Daniel Lamptey, the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolitan Environmental Health Officer, said as part of efforts to stem the cholera outbreak within the area, the Department had been educating the public on the need for them to keep safe and clean their surroundings.
He mentioned that his team had also undertaken a screening exercise for food vendors in the various communities, while educating them on ensuring best hygiene practices around their vending points.
Mr Innocent Haligah, the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolitan Coordinating Director, implored the media to support the Assembly to amplify the awareness creation among the residents on the cholera preventive measures to help reduce its spread in the Metropolis.
Latest Stories
-
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
29 minutes -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
37 minutes -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
47 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
1 hour -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
2 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
3 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
3 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
3 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
4 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
4 hours