Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for Bolga Central, Isaac Adongo, has charged Parliament to deal with the Ghana Football Association (GFA) to ensure safety measures are well in place before the return of the Ghana Premier League.
Ghana's top-flight league has been on hold since the death of football fan Francis 'Nana Pooley' during a league game in Nsoatre earlier this month.
Pooley was stabbed to death in Asante Kotoko's away defeat to Nsoatreman on matchday 19 following acts of violence at the Nana Koromansah II Stadium.
His demise led to the league being halted after the management of Kotoko called for a look into the case with the GFA also probing the matter through the Security and Safety Committee.
Speaking on the floor of parliament on Wednesday, February 19, Adongo, urged the house to ensure the GFA is in a good position to restart the league.
"Mr Speaker, I would like to call on this House [Parliament] to take on the GFA to properly make sure that before football returns, we are prepared in all respects and that our football fields are fit for purpose," he said.
"Currently, what we call football fields are just parks. They are just like [what we do] in our area where you just call members across the road and you are playing football, that is what is happening."
A date for the league to return is yet to be determined. However, the GFA has met with involved stakeholders to discuss possible ways of growing the game beyond hooliganism.
Latest Stories
-
How to cope with menstrual cramps
4 minutes -
Shatta Wale earns double win at 43rd IRAWMA Awards in Florida
5 minutes -
Uganda’s president signs contentious law meant to curb foreign influence
6 minutes -
Ghana finish African Seniors Athletics Championships with 5 medalsÂ
20 minutes -
Kwame Dadzie: Strongman did not originate adowa rap
27 minutes -
Ghana exits IMF, but broken promises stoke fears of an 18th bailout
28 minutes -
Fighter jet crews parachute safely after collision at US air show
35 minutes -
Taiwan will not provoke conflict nor give up sovereignty, says president
36 minutes -
Trump’s White House ballroom loses federal funding proposed by Senate Republicans
37 minutes -
New BBC boss warns that ‘tough choices are unavoidable’
38 minutes -
Trump-backed challenger defeats Republican senator who voted to convict president
39 minutes -
Tributes flow after Australian shark attack victim named as father-of-two
40 minutes -
‘Everest Man’ and ‘Mountain Queen’ break own records scaling world’s tallest peak
40 minutes -
Thousands of New York commuters braced for Monday morning chaos due to rail strike
41 minutes -
HS2 failings blamed on high-speed focus and political pressure
42 minutes