Audio By Carbonatix
Dozens of passengers on a bus in Ethiopia have been abducted by armed men in the country's largest region, Oromia, as they were travelling from the capital, Addis Ababa.
Details are only just emerging of the kidnappings, which took place earlier this week.
The incident happened in Ali Doro, which is near an area where around 100 university students were similarly abducted as they were heading home from their campus last July.
Survivors and local authorities blamed those abductions on the Oromo Liberation Army (OLA), a rebel group that operates in the area. The group denied involvement at the time.
Referring to this week's incident, the OLA has said it had received reports of the abductions and that it was "conducting an investigation".
According to one report by a local media organisation, the passengers were heading to Debre Markos, a town in the country's Amhara region, when they were attacked by the armed men, who exchanged fire with local security forces.
Another report said several buses were attacked, during which at least one person died. The number of abductees could be as high as 50, according to this report.
The government has not yet said anything about the kidnappings, and the BBC's attempts to get an official response have been unsuccessful.
Abductions of civilians - including passengers - have become increasingly common in the area. Armed groups here have in the past demanded ransoms for the release of the people they hold.
The OLA says it is fighting for the self-determination of Ethiopia's largest ethnic group, the Oromo.
It has been classified as a terrorist organisation by the federal parliament and operates in various areas in Oromia, including the district where Ali Doro is located.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t “over impressed” IMF with deep expenditure cut in 2025 – Prof Bokpin
10 minutes -
FDA intensifies checks on imported frozen chicken, meat and fish to boost food safety
24 minutes -
Policy rate at 14%: Middle East crisis is the elephant in the room – BoG boss
30 minutes -
Accra High Court grants GH¢100,000 bail to Abronye DC
33 minutes -
Policy rate held at 14% as Middle East Crisis clouds inflation outlook – BoG Governor
46 minutes -
Police launch manhunt for suspect in Sekondi for alleged defilement
50 minutes -
Arrests must continue until misconduct ceases – David Vondee
59 minutes -
WFP and partners assess impact of US-funded school feeding programme
1 hour -
Lastec Auto Centre: The man who sold his Mercedes to build a garage brand in Accra
2 hours -
Ghanaian start-ups can unlock €100K in non-dilutive funding + scaling support via develoPPP Ventures
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, May 21, 2026
2 hours -
UG Professor wins international lifetime achievement award for work on neglected tropical diseases
2 hours -
Prophet John Anokye urges Christians to combine faith with financial wisdom
2 hours -
Minister Sam George inspects ‘One Million Coders’ centres in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Legacy Expo 2026 set to mark a decade of impact in Africa’s beauty & wellness industry
3 hours