Audio By Carbonatix
The Minority in Parliament is demanding answers from Energy Minister John Jinapor following new claims that ECG containers previously reported as missing were never actually lost.
Reports indicate that the containers have been located at the Tema Port all along.
Earlier today, the Daily Graphic reported that the Ministry has retrieved 2,637 containers belonging to the ECG, twice the number of containers presumed to have gone missing with their contents.
Spokesperson for the ministry, Richmond Rockson, told the newspaper that the committee investigating the 1,300 containers said to be unaccounted for, rather discovered 2,637 containers at the Port of Tema consigned to the ECG, a number far above the initial missing items.
He said as of April 30, 2025, ECG had 2,583 outstanding containers at various locations.
But Deputy Ranking Member on the Energy Committee, Collins Adomako Mensah would have none of that.
Speaking at a press conference in Parliament, the Afigya Kwabre North MP called for full disclosure on the matter.
"We are being told that the containers have suddenly been found at the same Tema Port, as reported by The Daily Graphic," Mr Mensah said on May 27.
"Initially, ECG reported 2,491 unclaimed containers to the minister, who then set up a committee to investigate. The committee later claimed 1,134 were missing. The minister even conducted raids with national security, alleging some companies had stolen the containers. Now, we are told 2,637 containers—more than double the supposed missing number—have been found at Tema Port. This is a very strange development."
The legislator questioned the earlier narrative that led to the resignation of ECG’s board chairman.
"We were told the board failed to account for the containers, but now the same people say they were never missing—just that audits were not properly done. The Minority demands that the minister comes to Parliament to provide a full account of what really happened."
He also rejected media reports suggesting the containers had been "retrieved," insisting, "They were not retrieved; they were found because they were never missing in the first place."
The Minority has vowed to push for further scrutiny into the matter, calling for transparency and accountability from the Energy Ministry.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s farmgate cocoa price beats Côte d’Ivoire despite criticism – AAK NDC
12 seconds -
Why use your royalties for ‘nsawa’ and blame mining companies for no development?
2 minutes -
ECOWAS Court of Justice holds sensitisation mission and external court session in Guinea
6 minutes -
Stephen Amoah calls for structural economic reforms to prevent future IMF bailout
7 minutes -
Stephen Amoah defends erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t MF bailout decision
10 minutes -
Repeal Section 208 now! It is archaic and anti-democracy – Samson Lardy Anyenini
10 minutes -
Ghana on right economic trajectory after IMF programme exit – Dr Atuahene
12 minutes -
EPA shuts down Mpohor Mining site over alleged illegal foreign involvement
14 minutes -
Fallon Foundation launches ‘Pad for Prisons Initiative’ to promote menstrual equity in Ghana
22 minutes -
Private broadcasters strengthen democracy, accountability, and national development – GIBA President
23 minutes -
Some ministries are collapsing due to lack of funds – Effia MP claims
30 minutes -
IMF programme stabilised Ghana’s economy – Dr Richmond Atuahene
36 minutes -
Banking consultant calls for privatisation of non-strategic SOEs
45 minutes -
Bimbilla NPP Chairman Mbow Mohammed resigns after over three decades of party service
54 minutes -
NADMO appeals for urgent support following Tidal Wave destruction in Moree
57 minutes