Audio By Carbonatix
The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has voiced strong objections to the decision by the Electoral Commission (EC) to re-run elections in 19 polling stations in the Ablekuma North constituency.
The party vehemently denies claims by the EC that it had agreed to this expanded re-run during a meeting held on July 1.
The party further revealed their intentions to seek redress in court if the EC does not rescind the decision for fresh polls.
Justin Frimpong Kodua, the General Secretary of the NPP, stated at a press conference today, July 3, that the party had raised serious concerns during a meeting over what it perceives as an "abrupt change" in the EC’s position.
The NPP highlighted that the commission had previously communicated to both parliament and the party that only three polling station results from Ablekuma North remained outstanding.
"The latest decision raises serious concerns about consistency and transparency in the electoral process," Mr Kodua asserted, demanding clarity from the EC regarding the rationale behind the significantly increased number of polling stations slated for a re-run.
The controversy surrounds the results from the recent general elections, with the Ablekuma North constituency having been a point of contention. The NPP's rejection of the EC's claim of agreement underscores growing tensions between political parties and the electoral body, particularly concerning the integrity and finality of election results.
The NPP's demand for transparency comes amidst broader concerns about electoral integrity in Ghana, a recurring theme in recent election cycles.
Such disagreements over electoral processes often fuel public debate and can impact trust in democratic institutions.
The Electoral Commission is yet to officially respond to the NPP's public denial of consent.
Latest Stories
-
‘No better songwriter in Nigerian music industry than Simi’ – Adekunle Gold
1 hour -
Why I wished for death in my 20s – Adekunle Gold
1 hour -
Sierra Leone to take in hundreds of West Africans deported by US, minister says
2 hours -
Comoros suspends fuel price hikes after deadly protests
2 hours -
Gucci takes over Times Square for Cruise show as Kering eyes revival
2 hours -
Oil prices rise after Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ on Iran peace talks
2 hours -
Trump’s White House ballroom loses federal funding proposed by Senate Republicans
2 hours -
Forty-two pupils missing after Nigeria school attack, lawmaker says
2 hours -
Earthquake hits southwest China; thousands evacuate, buildings collapse
3 hours -
Tunisians protest against Saied over arrests and economic strain
3 hours -
Poor electricity in Nigeria affected my growth – Ayra Starr
3 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Aduana FC beat Young Apostles to end winless run
5 hours -
Hasaacas Ladies beat Army Ladies on penalties to win Women’s FA Cup
5 hours -
Rwandan genocide suspect Kabuga, 93, dies in custody
5 hours -
MTN Ghana marks 30 years with landmark anniversary launch in Accra
5 hours