Audio By Carbonatix
West Ham manager Graham Potter says midfielder Lucas Paqueta is committed to the club after he was cleared of spot-fixing charges – but Michail Antonio will not be in his squad this season.
Almost two years after the Football Association began its investigation into the Brazil international, Paqueta was cleared of getting booked deliberately to affect a betting market.
The 27-year-old had been facing a lifetime ban.
At the time the FA began its investigation, Paqueta had been heavily linked with a move to Manchester City.
With the transfer window not closing until 1 September, there is some nervousness among West Ham fans that the playmaker might be lured away.
Potter, though, looks at the situation more positively.
"You never know for sure because anything can happen in the window with anybody," said Potter at a media conference in Atlanta to look ahead to his side's Premier League Summer Series match with Bournemouth on Sunday.
"But the news is incredibly positive. If it had gone the other way, there would have been a whole other line of questions.
"Lucas is happy and committed. He is an important person in the dressing room and at the club, and we love him. We just want to help him enjoy his football.
"You can imagine on a personal level, for him, having to fight those allegations was an incredible challenge for him. It has been a really tough period in his life and career.
"It is a credit to him and his family and everyone who has supported him that he has come through."
As the written reasons are yet to be published, it is still not known whether Paqueta will take legal action against the FA.
Meanwhile, Antonio looks to be surplus to Potter's plans.
Asked whether the 35-year-old would be part of his squad for the forthcoming campaign following the signing of another veteran frontman – and Antonio's former podcast partner – Callum Wilson on a free transfer, Potter said simply: "No."
Last month, the club said no formal decision had been made on the player whose contract expired at the end of the month.
"As a long-serving, highly-respected player, and a much-loved member of the West Ham family, the club's absolute priority at this time is to support Michail personally in his journey to resume playing at the highest level," said a statement.
There had been no update on that prior to Potter's answer.
Having recovered from his horrific car crash in December, Antonio made a playing return for Jamaica during this summer's Concacaf Gold Cup.
He joined West Ham from Nottingham Forest for an undisclosed fee, reported to be £7m, in 2015 and is the club's record Premier League goalscorer, scoring 68 goals in 268 top-flight appearances.
Latest Stories
-
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
20 minutes -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
24 minutes -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
37 minutes -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
53 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
53 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
53 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
53 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
58 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
1 hour -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
1 hour -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
1 hour -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
2 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
2 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours