Audio By Carbonatix
The MultiChoice Group has disputed claims by Minister of Communication, Digital Technology and Innovation, Samuel Nartey George, that it had agreed to reduce subscription prices in Ghana, insisting no such agreement has been reached.
In a statement issued on Friday, September 5, hours after the Minister held a press conference to update the public on the ongoing subscription fees debate, the group stated that they are still engaging with the Minister in a bid to find an amicable solution that is beneficial for all parties.
Read also: MultiChoice agrees to reduce DSTV fees, pricing committee established – Sam George
MultiChoice Group further said that while it will fully participate in the newly established stakeholder committee, no agreement has been reached on lowering DStv prices in Ghana.
“We will fully participate in the established Working Committee. However, we wish to clarify that MultiChoice Group has not agreed to a price reduction,” part of the statement read.
Briefing the press earlier Friday, the Communications Minister told journalists that MultiChoice had signalled its readiness to comply with pricing concerns through a consultative process, similar to what was adopted in negotiations with mobile network operators.
"MultiChoice has requested a 30-day window for the committee to arrive at what percentage of reduction will be achieved. So let's be clear, they have finally accepted that there will be a reduction.
"Now they want us to discuss the level of reduction. I believe, as Minister, that we do not need 30 days. 14 days is enough for us to reach this decision, inclusive of weekends," he told journalists.
He announced that a committee comprising representatives of the Ministry, the NCA, MultiChoice Ghana, and MultiChoice Africa had been formed to oversee the process.
Read also: NCA has a mandate to collect GH¢240,000 fine from MultiChoice – Sam George
"We've taken the decision to immediately establish a stakeholder committee comprising representatives from the Ministry of Communication, Digital Technology and Innovation. The regulator, the NCA, MultiChoice Ghana and MultiChoice Africa. I will personally chair the committee," he said.
Latest Stories
-
NATARAJ Art competition inspires young creativity in Ghana
2 hours -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns
2 hours -
Money can be traced in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ case – Kow Essuman fires back at Deputy AG
3 hours -
25/26 UEFA Europa League: Unai Emery leads Aston Villa to first European trophy in 44 years
3 hours -
Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion
3 hours -
SkySat Technologies, Konica Minolta launch VIP Experience in Accra
3 hours -
Africa’s capital must power digital innovation and infrastructure – KGL Group Chair
3 hours -
Policy rate cuts won’t spur growth without cheaper bank loans – Economist
3 hours -
OBZ Group founder urges regulation of fuel sales in galamsey communities
4 hours -
Closure of Kaneshie footbridge forces traders, commuters to risk crossing highway daily
4 hours -
World Bank mission team pays courtesy call on Gender Minister
4 hours -
Aggrieved customers threaten fresh protests at Finance Ministry over unpaid locked up funds
4 hours -
‘Did Mahama lie his way to power?’ – Gold Coast Customers react to compensation delay
4 hours -
“We don’t have the money to pay” – Finance Minister tells financial sector victims
5 hours -
ORAL: Prosecution closes its case in Skytrain trial
5 hours