Audio By Carbonatix
US forces have struck another vessel alleged to be carrying drugs, this time in the waters of the Pacific Ocean, the Pentagon has confirmed.
According to defence secretary Pete Hegseth, two people on board the vessel were killed. No US forces were harmed.
The vessel was known to US intelligence and was believed to be carrying drugs along a known trafficking route in international waters, Hegseth added.
The strike marks the eighth US strike against suspected drug boats since 2 September - but the first in the Pacific.
Video of the strike appears to show a long, blue speed boat moving through the water before being struck by US ordinance.
"Narco-terrorists intending to bring position to our shores will find no safe harbour anywhere inour hemisphere," Hegseth wrote on X. "Just as Al Qaeda wages war on our homeland, these cartels are waging war on our border and our people."
"There will be no refuge or forgiveness - only justice," he added.
In a leaked memo recently sent to US lawmakers, the Trump administration said it determined it was involved in a "non-international armed conflict" with drug-trafficking organisations.
At least 36 people have been killed in the American strikes on alleged drug boats, including a recent strike on a semi-submersible vessel in the Caribbean.
Two men survived a strike last week, and were repatriated to Colombia and Ecuador.
Ecuador's government later released him - identified as Andrés Fernando Tufiño - saying there was no evidence of wrongdoing. The other man, from Colombia, reportedly remains hospitalised.
US President Donald Trump and administration officials have repeatedly justified the strikes as counter-narcotics measures necessary to fight drug-trafficking organisations, several of which have been designated as terrorist organisations by the US.
The location of the most recent strike and the origin of the vessel remain unclear.
News of the strike, however, comes amid rising tensions between the Trump administration and the Colombian government of President Gustavo Petro.
On Sunday, Trump denounced Petro as an "illegal drug leader" who is "strongly encouraging the massive production of drugs, in big and small fields, all over Colombia."
Trump added that the US will no longer offer subsidies to Colombia, which has historically been one of its closest allies in Latin America.
Both Colombia and nearby Ecuador have significant Pacific coastlines that experts have said are used to funnel drugs north towards the US through Central America and Mexico.
US estimates from the Drug Enforcement Agency, or DEA, indicate that the vast majority of cocaine bound for US cities passes through the Pacific.
Drug seizures in the Caribbean - where the bulk of confirmed US strikes have so far taken place - account for a relatively small percentage of the total, although US officials have warned it is rising.
To date, US officials have offered few details on the identities of those killed in the strikes or what drug trafficking organisations they allegedly belong to.
Around 10,000 US troops, as well as dozens of military aircraft and ships, have been deployed to the Caribbean as part of the operation.
Latest Stories
-
Beneficiaries of Nkoko Nketenkete programme share success stories
44 minutes -
World Cup slots do not exist in my office – Sports Minister cautions
47 minutes -
Media tasked to deepen role in advancing decentralisation reforms
52 minutes -
EPA arrests suspected illegal miner over pollution of Ankobra tributary in Nzema East
59 minutes -
Kenyan court rules parts of law criminalising consensual sex between adolescents invalid
1 hour -
I brag to my colleagues about being a graduate – Davido
1 hour -
I used to run to Don Jazzy’s room to cry during hard times – Tiwa Savage
1 hour -
Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Tems and Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards
1 hour -
Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
2 hours -
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
2 hours -
As cocoa prices melt down, real chocolate is making a comeback
2 hours -
UK agrees ÂŁ3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
2 hours -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
2 hours -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
4 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
4 hours