Audio By Carbonatix
Interior Minister Mohammed Muntaka Mubarak has confirmed that three people have died following the collapse of a three-storey building at Accra New Town, as rescue teams continue efforts at the scene.
The deceased include two women and a man, but they are yet to be identified.
The incident occurred on Sunday at an uncompleted structure within the premises of the Accra New Town Experimental Basic School, a site also used by Christian worshippers.
Initial reports had confirmed two deaths, but the latest official update places the death toll at three.
Rescue operations intensified into the night, with emergency teams working under floodlights to reach victims trapped beneath the rubble.
Personnel from the Ghana Police Service, the Ghana National Fire Service, the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), and the National Ambulance Service have all been deployed.
At the scene, the Minister stressed that authorities had taken extra steps to verify the casualty figures before releasing them.
“So far, information that has been cross-checked, double-checked, visited all the hospitals, just to be sure that we don’t give any information that may be far away from the fact,” he said.
He acknowledged the difficulty in determining how many people were in the building at the time of the collapse, but said coordinated data from emergency agencies has provided clarity.
“As we all know, it is very difficult for you to go to how many people were in there, but at least with the cross-check from the police and National Ambulance Service,” he noted.
He commended the emergency responders for their efforts through the night.
“The Ambulance Service and their team have been here the whole night, and they’ve done a wonderful job. We are really grateful. Gratitude to the media and everybody that I’ve forgotten to mention,” he added.
Providing a confirmed breakdown, the Minister said 23 people were involved in the incident.
“What we can say is that there was a total of 23 people. Unfortunately, we’ve lost three - a male and two females. They’re not able to tell names for now,” he disclosed.
He added that the remaining victims are receiving treatment at various health facilities.
“And thank God, 20 are alive in various hospitals - the Police Hospital, Mamobi and a private facility,” he said.
The Interior Minister further revealed that women and minors make up a significant number of those affected.
“Out of the 23, the total number of females amongst them is 15, with eight males. Out of this, we have seven minors, but those who have lost their lives, there’s no minor,” he stated.
Meanwhile, rescue teams continue to search through the debris, amid fears that more people could still be trapped.
Authorities say some victims were earlier heard calling for help from beneath the rubble, underscoring the urgency of the ongoing operation.
The cause of the collapse remains unknown.
Latest Stories
-
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
1 minute -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
8 minutes -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
42 minutes -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
45 minutes -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
1 hour -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
1 hour -
This week on The Career Trail
1 hour -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
2 hours -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
2 hours -
Ghana will receive final IMF cash of US$318 million immediately after July board approval – Mission Chief
2 hours -
Arthur Legacy, CAA Base partner to educate players on transfers, branding
2 hours -
Midie: Children wade through mud daily to go to school
2 hours -
GN Savings and Loans case is not over – Banking consultant
2 hours -
Oh Why, Honourable Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin?
2 hours -
MoGCSP inaugurates, swears in Technical Working Group for new National Plan of Action on elimination of human trafficking
2 hours