Audio By Carbonatix
The Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) has caused the arrest of a suspected illegal miner, identified as Abeka Gogo, following alleged environmental destruction linked to illegal mining activities at Adrekazo in the Nzema East Municipality.
According to the EPA, the suspect is believed to be a lead operator at an illegal mining site known as Gyenyame Gyetei, where mining activities are said to have severely affected nearby farmlands, wetlands and a tributary of the Ankobra River.
The arrest was made during a follow-up inspection conducted jointly by the EPA and other state agencies after operators at the site had earlier been directed on May 19, 2026, to halt all mining and mineral processing activities for operating without the required environmental permits.

However, upon returning to the site the following day, officials reportedly observed indications that operations had continued despite the directive. Some workers fled the area on sighting the inspection team, while one excavator had allegedly been removed overnight, leaving behind two excavators and a wash plant.
Deputy Director of Mining at the EPA, Harrison Afful, described the environmental impact as severe, stating that the miners were washing gold-bearing materials and discharging wastewater directly into wetlands without any waste containment or water recycling systems.

“What you are seeing behind me is a typical effect of illegal mining. They are washing gold-bearing materials and discharging the wastewater directly into the wetlands,” he said.
Mr Afful further disclosed that preliminary investigations suggested the operators had been working at the site for about four months without the necessary permits. The EPA also confiscated gallons of fuel, mineral residue and other operational materials during the operation.
The Authority says it is collaborating with the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) to evacuate the remaining excavators and a power plant from the area, while prosecutorial action is expected to be taken against individuals found culpable.
Latest Stories
-
We have all seen it – Kwakye Ofosu confirms early race to replace Mahama
5 minutes -
One dead, several injured in head-on crash on Wenchi-Subinso road
19 minutes -
FABAG backs GSA fight against ‘unjustified’ port charges
35 minutes -
Manasseh Azure Awuni: President Mahama, I feel ashamed
45 minutes -
GNFS responds to diesel tanker accident at Asuboi, no casualties recorded
52 minutes -
Charles Amissah’s family sues 3 hospitals, doctors and AG, seeks GH¢20m compensation
58 minutes -
Ghana signs MOU with ‘Google for Education’ to strengthen digital literacy
1 hour -
Ghana’s economic activity strengthens, but business confidence eases to 12.6% – BoG
1 hour -
Galamsey: Ahafo Security Council disbands illegal mining site, seizes five excavators
1 hour -
GSA and German partners distribute calibrated scales to traders in Techiman
1 hour -
National Peace Council urges calm over rising political tensions
1 hour -
Ghana reaffirms commitment to peaceful cross-border governance and integration
1 hour -
‘I don’t see any faction amongst us’ – Bawumia urges unity in NPP
1 hour -
Mobile Money transactions hit GH¢493.2bn in April 2026 – BoG
1 hour -
Germany commends Ghana on completion of IMF programme
1 hour