Audio By Carbonatix
Heavy fighting between government forces and militant Islamists in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, has forced the closure of a hospital, an aid group says.
Dr Ahmed Mohamed said the shelling of a maternity unit run by SOS Children on Monday killed one staff member and forced patients and staff to flee.
This was the first time in 25 years that the hospital had closed, he said.
Government forces are fighting the Islamist group al-Shabab in Somalia.
They are backed by 9,000 African Union (AU) troops.
On Monday, the AU said they have driven al-Shabab militants out of their last stronghold in the north of Mogadishu.
"It has been a big achievement to remove [al-Shabab] from the city, and put an end to the fighting that disrupted so many lives," AU force spokesman Lt Col Paddy Ankunda said.
Al-Shabab still has a presence in the outlying district of Daynile, a BBC reporter in Mogadishu says. It also controls many southern and central areas.
Dr Mohamed told the BBC that 40 women in the maternity unity had to flee, including women who had given birth by caesarean section.
Children being treated for severe malnutrition also fled and he feared some of them may have died, he said.
He appealed to the AU-backed government forces and militants to leave the area.
"I am pleading and I am begging both parties... to leave the place and allow people to come back and get the assistance from the hospital," Dr Mohamed said.
Somalia is the country worst hit by the Horn of Africa's worst drought in 60 years - many thousands of people have flocked to Mogadishu in recent months to get food aid despite the danger.
Al-Shabab said it carried out a bomb attack in Mogadishu last week which killed more than 80 people.
In August, it said it had made a tactical withdrawal from Mogadishu following a sustained offensive by AU forces.
Since then, it has increasingly relied on guerrilla tactics to fight the weak interim government, analysts say.
Somalia has been without a functioning central government since the Siad Barre regime fell in 1991.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Pereira announced as Forest boss on 18-month deal
29 minutes -
Benatia leaves Marseille amid ‘growing dissatisfaction’
39 minutes -
Captain Van Dijk wants ‘so important’ Salah to stay
48 minutes -
SMS must deliver in 5 seconds – NCA issues new mobile service targets
58 minutes -
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
5 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
5 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
6 hours
