Audio By Carbonatix
The US federal government has added about 50 types of cancer to the list of illnesses to be covered by a 9/11 health treatment programme.
The decision entitles 70,000 surviving emergency service workers and other survivors to free care.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety announced the change on the eve of the attacks' 11th anniversary.
Some 1,000 deaths have been linked to illnesses caused by toxic dust spewed by wreckage at ground zero.
Construction workers, first responders, office cleaners and others all fell ill in the decade after the attacks.
The institute said last June that it was in favour of expanding the existing $4.3bn 9/11 health programme to include people with 50 types of cancer, following a recommendation from an advisory committee.
Cancers to be covered include lung and colorectal, breast and bladder, leukaemia, melanoma and all childhood cancers.
The medical coverage comes under the Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, which was signed into law by President Barack Obama last year.
Until now, most of the health compensation was for respiratory diseases linked to the toxic dust and fumes from the fallen towers.
John Howard, administrator of the World Trade Center Health Program established by the Zadroga law, said Monday's announcement marked "an important step in the effort to provide needed treatment and care to 9/11 responders and survivors".
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement the decision would "continue to ensure that those who have become ill due to the heinous attacks on 9/11 get the medical care they need and deserve".
The compensation has been held up by a dispute over whether there was evidence of a direct link between the World Trade Center tragedy and cancer.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
1 minute -
Supreme Court dismisses Kojo Oppong Nkrumah’s application seeking to halt legal vacation trials
16 minutes -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
26 minutes -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
33 minutes -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
37 minutes -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
38 minutes -
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
51 minutes -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
1 hour -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
2 hours -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
2 hours -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
2 hours -
Government plans 2,000-acre pharmaceutical innovation park in Osudoku to boost local drug production
2 hours -
Partey undergoes medical ahead of Al Shabab move in Saudi Arabia
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
3 hours -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
3 hours